Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    casskaren Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2012, 03:05 PM
    Give up rights of adopted child
    My husband adopted my daughter 1 1/2 years ago. We are now in process of getting a divorce. He says he wants to give up his rights so he doesn't have to pay child support. Can he do this? We live in Indiana
    recover2day Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2012, 03:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by casskaren View Post
    My husband adopted my daughter 1 1/2 years ago. We are now in process of getting a divorce. He says he wants to give up his rights so he doesn't have to pay child support. Can he do this?? We live in Indiana
    According to Indiana law, a child must have two parents responsible for him at all times. This means that it can be difficult to terminate your parental rights if there is no one to step in and adopt. However, if you simply do not want to have visitation rights to your child, it is easier to accomplish as you can still be held financially responsible for your child if necessary. In Indiana, though, the court wants only what is best for the child and will take that into account. In many cases, this means keeping both parents involved in the child's life.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 12, 2012, 03:29 PM
    No, when someone adopts a child they become that child's legal parent. The relationship is as binding as if they gave birth to the child. He took on full responsibility for that child when he agreed to adopt. No court will terminate his rights just to allow him out of paying support.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 12, 2012, 04:22 PM
    No he can not, when he decided to adopt, he took the child as his own, I feel sorry for the child if he did not really mean it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I have to pay back child support if I give up my rights and the child is adopted? [ 3 Answers ]

Haven't seen my kid in years... her mom wants her husband to adopt her... if he does do I have to pay back child support?

How to give all rights to my adopted daughter back to her mom? [ 2 Answers ]

My adopted Father and I do not get along and I do not live with him anyway but yesterday he decides to come to my school and get me out early and I had not talked to him in 2 months. When I see him I am automatecally repulsed. He yells at me to get in the truck and we leave{given that no one in my...

Can I give up rights to my adopted daughter [ 3 Answers ]

My adopted daughter is ten years old, she has been diagnosed with add,adhd and bi-polar disorder, she has melt downs and in the last couple of months they have beeen more violent then usual. She lies steals and has started to hit me and bite, when I try to restrain her so she does not hurt her...

Visitation rights of adopted child [ 20 Answers ]

I was dating a woman when she finished an adoption of our child from China. This adoption was started and financed without me before we met. We remained a couple sharing space and bills for 4 years. During this time I was always referred to as "Pa Pa" and assumed the role as father. The mother and...

How do I give up my rights for my adopted child [ 4 Answers ]

My ex-girlfriend and I adopted a child two years ago and since that time she has refused to let me see the child. I have went to court and gotten a court order but she has refused to follow it. She has know accused me of using drugs among other things. She lies consistently. She has taken me to...

View more questions Search