Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spanky kf Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2012, 01:56 PM
    Splices or wirenuts allowed in a disconnects
    Are splices or wirenuts allowed in a disconnect on the line side feed? An HVAC contractor installed a new 5 ton condensing unit outside and they replaced the disconnect also. The feed wires were short so instead of cutting off the conduit nipple about 6 inches or just replacing the wire to the panel which was just inside the wall approximately 9 feet away. They used pigtails and blue wirenuts the pigtails overheated melted the insulation and the plastic around the lugs so the condensing unit was now trying to run on 92 volts instead of 240. Is this a proper installation by the NEC ?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2012, 04:08 PM
    I have to retract my statement, Feed on the line side, I can't say, some good people here will answer shortly, I hope.
    I never did it, never thought about it. Better off having the additional load on a separate breaker.
    Wirenuts and splices are allowed.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2012, 03:54 AM
    Spanky,
    Can you elaborate on your question?
    Yes, the code allows splices in a disconnect, panel... etc. although
    Making a connection to the line or load side depends on what you're connecting,
    The size of the overcurrent protection supplying the disconnect, the wire size...
    Please tell us more...
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2012, 04:24 AM
    Here is the actual text from the 2008 edition of the NEC, as you can see it is not a simple yes or no answer:
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

100amp subpanel with splices and disconnects [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings, I have a 200amp service in the house and a separate 200amp service to my detached garage/shop. The power utility is charging me a rate 3x's higher on the garage than what they charge me on the house. I want to cancel the 200amp service to the garage and have the utility company pull the...

Names of wire splices [ 1 Answers ]

Kinds and examples of wire splices

Splices [ 2 Answers ]

Are you allowed to make splices in a outdoor concrete box that has a cover labed electrical. Thanks

Double taps and splices [ 1 Answers ]

I have a panel that is outside with a 110 receptacle attached directly to the panel. I want to add a two more receptacles to this circuit for a total of 3 receptacles. What I would need to do most likely is ether do a double tap on the breaker or have a splice in the panel. I am sure that double...

Comma Splices [ 1 Answers ]

What is a comma slice? I am having trouble remembering.

View more questions Search