Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amberj09 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2012, 06:28 AM
    $150 theft in Texas
    Hello All,
    Got caught stealing at walmart, items added up to 143 and some change loss prevention called the police because of the amount. It is my very first offense ever, I've never been in trouble and I'm 20. Was issued a citation and have to go to court on the 26th, just wondering how will this all play out when I have to appear in court what is most likely to happen to me? More importantly I'm a junior in college and need to know if this will show up on any criminal background checks for future jobs or current ones, I work with kids a lot! Thanks so much and I look forward to hearing from you all :)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2012, 07:49 AM
    Walmart in my area is tough, always prosecutes.

I think you'll make restitution, perhaps get some type of probation. I don't see jail.

Yes, your fingerprints and mugshot will be part of your permanent file. If you need a license for your career you could have a problem because you will have an arrest record.

I would be VERY careful how this is handled and would NOT attempt any Court appearance without an Attorney.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 11, 2012, 10:10 AM
    No jail, fine ( my guess 500 to 1000 dollar fine) most likely 6 months to 12 months probation and perhaps restitution to Walmart for the time and trouble of their employees, Loss prevention and so on. I would add that up to about 400 to 500 dollars.

I would be sure to have an attorney, if you can get ( if they allow it) a first offender program, then it will not show up on most background searches. ** It will only show up for those dealing with Government employment * law enforcement and national secuity positions.

If it is not done under a program it will show up for the rest of your life.
    amberj09 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2012, 07:18 AM
    Unfortunately, I cannot afford an attorney. And Chuck, what do you mean if it is not done under a program? What kind of program are you referring to?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 13, 2012, 09:05 AM
    A first offender program, You need to get an attorney at least a public defender if you can.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Retail theft under $150? Will it stay on record? How to deal with civil claim letter? [ 0 Answers ]

Hi! I was caught by security personnel for shoplifting about a month ago in Chicago, Illinois. The amount of goods stolen was under $150. The police arrived, I was booked for retail theft (selected, concealed, and exited w/o making payments for items), and they set a hearing date for me (which will...

Will I get probation for theft under $150? [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I were arrested at the local Wal Mart here 2 days ago for stealing 6 X box games. :eek: My boyfriend unwrapped them and cut all the sensors out and he put them in my purse. I didn't touch the games but yet, I walked out with the purse in my hand so they arrested both of us. The...

3rd degree theft $150 first conviction [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, so this is a little embarrassing but I stole $150 from my work. It was on 3 separate occasions of $50. The caught me, I signed a statement of what had happened and why I had done it (Medical bills from surgery) I also signed a restitution saying they can take the money out of my paycheck. 3...

Retail theft under $150, in PA [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I got caught for doing something very stupid retail theft... my gut said don't do it and I still did. I was just trying to see how people do it and not get caught heard from other people, watching TV no one ever gets caught. People who do it first time and don't know how to do it get caught....

View more questions Search