Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Swagatam4u Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2012, 11:39 AM
    Can we eat wheat flour with bug
    Is the wheat affected by bugs edible? Should we eat this flour after getting these bugs out from flour? Does it affect hygiene factor of the flour?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 10, 2012, 11:41 AM
    I know the type of bug you mean, and no you can't eat the flour after it has been contaminated. They will have left their eggs in the flour to feed and mature. You would not be able to see the larvae. You will have to throw out bread and such, and clean your cupboards thoroughly.
    lauraws1966 Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Sep 26, 2012, 05:47 PM
    No - Toss It.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 26, 2012, 05:59 PM
    Those are 'pantry moths' or 'Indian meal moths' probably. A very small moth?
    They are almost impossible to get rid of. And if you don't throw everything out, they will multiply like crazy. Keep new flours, cereals, pet foods, rice, beans, bread crumbs, etc in the fridge, freezer, or containers with very good seals - NOT soft plastic or ziplock bags. The moth can lay it's eggs through plastic.
    OXO is the best container, although expensive. You also have to wash out all your cabinets. It can take weeks of work.
    I got them once in bird seed. Sometimes they are more common in organic products.
    nschooper Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2013, 11:39 AM
    I had a weevil problem a while ago. I cleaned everything out and they went away for a while but they came back in a few weeks. I searched the web for solutions on how to get rid of them and came across a product called Weevil Away. They have these little adhesive sticky pads that have a natural/organic solution on them. They repel the weevils which sounded like a great idea to me. I'd rather repel them in the first place rather than wait for them to show up and then try to get rid of them. I stuck one in every one of my cupboards and hoped for the best. The smell is fantastic and it's been almost a year and still no weevils. Love this stuff!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2013, 02:25 PM
    That is the reason I do not use wheat flour. I figure if you buy the bag and no bugs, then you go to use it again and bugs. The bugs had to of been eggs in the wheat before they hatched.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whole wheat flour bugs? [ 2 Answers ]

I store my whole wheat flour in Tupperware containers which are airtight, right? Wrong ! I strongly suspect the flour I purchased from a large market was already infested. I am so grossed out about this. The flour was not old. Should I have to freeze all my flour as soon I get home from the...

Bugs in whole wheat flour [ 9 Answers ]

Can you use whole wheat flour when there are bugs in it. Where does the bugs come from

Is it okay for a dog to eat a lady bug? [ 4 Answers ]

Is it okay for a dog to eat a lady bug? My male chiwhawa ate a lady bug few days ago and now he is throwing up and has dirahra Could the lady bug be the reason why?

Need Peanut butter cookie recipie WITH Whole Wheat Flour [ 1 Answers ]

I have a recipie with all purpose flour, but I was wondering if anyone has a recipie with whole flour?? Or is it the same?? Thanks

Self raising flour v plain flour + baking powder? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm making jam drops with my kids and I only have self raising flour in the pantry can I use it instead of the plain flour and baking powder?

View more questions Search