Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rina88 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2012, 09:19 PM
    Is it OK to smoke Cigarettes 5 days after Wisdom tooth extraction?
    Hello I hope I can get the answer I'm hoping for.

Well Here is my story.
    I am 23 years old I went to the dentist on Monday,June 4th and I went in as a walk in because I had terrible pain from a very bad Cavity it is now Saturday, June 9th.
    This was my first time ever getting a tooth pulled let alone my wisdom tooth and the dentist I got was Horrible!

She wouldn't answer any question I had and wanted to pull all my wisdom teeth out and I really don't have the money. Well she kicked my mother out of the office because she was asking questions and to top it off she stuck the needle she was giving me to numb the extraction site in the outside part of my lip (was very painful) on "Accident".
    So she tells me that if it hurts me to raise my hand (at this point I was very nervous and she didn't help me feel very at ease). She starts to pull on the tooth and it hurt a little but she did not listen that it hurt and takes it out no problems but it has an infection and I got no stitches. She tells me not to smoke for 7 days, gives me antibiotics and Tylenol 3 and didn't explain anything to me.

For a week now I've been very confused of what to do and researching but getting very different answers from everyone. I am a smoker and I know its not healthy for me but I am not a heavy smoker. I wanted to know when it was safe to smoke a cigarette and when I can start eating regular foods again.

Please if possible can anyone answer my question. It would be wounderful! Thank you very much!
    joebanana Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2012, 10:36 PM
    Dude, I would have fired up on the way to my car. "Don't smoke for 7 day's", yeah right. How about 7 minutes? It's not like your going to get cancer where the tooth used to be for smoking a grit. Light up, if your head explodes, wait awhile before trying it again. Don't expect money to shoot out your butt, but don't go writing a suicide note either.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 9, 2012, 10:39 PM
    What the dentist wants to do is avoid a dry socket and all the mess and pain that involves. Sucking on a cigarette or straw will often cause the blood clot to loosen, and a dry socket will result. I'd wait to smoke and then smoke very, very carefully. Continue eating soft foods until you talk to or visit the dentist again. Or call your regular one. (Didn't you get a sheet of after-care instructions?)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2012, 05:55 AM
    Yes, it's all about a dry socket.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 10, 2012, 06:23 AM
    I can't believe you didn't get an instruction sheet? (You were rushed and treated abruptly because you were a walk in! You should call and ask for an emergency appt. How fair were you to others waiting?)
    Basic instructions are to rinse as often as you can (every few hours) with warm salted water and to gently brush the top of the gum around the tooth.
    As for stitches - they don't do that anymore!
    Rina88 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2012, 08:31 AM
    Yeah, My tooth is fine its actually healing quite nicely. There wasn't very many people in there at the time and only one dentist. My mother told me about dry socket and stuff. She was more informative then the dentist lol
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2012, 08:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rina88 View Post
    Yeah, My tooth is fine its actually healing quite nicely. There wasnt very many people in there at the time and only one dentist. My mother told me about dry socket and stuff. She was more informative then the dentist lol

My laugh for the day! Loved it!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pain after wisdom Tooth Extraction [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter has 4 non impacted wisdom teeth removed 6 days ago. After the numbing meds wore off, she had a lot of pain. The dentist gave her pain meds but after 4 hours she needed another pill. Two days ago she was still in a lot of pain and went back to the dentist. He said there was no dry...

Wisdom tooth extraction [ 3 Answers ]

Does a dentist insert and apply any object into the dry socket during a wisdom tooth extraction.

Down after the Wisdom Tooth Extraction [ 1 Answers ]

HI , I am from colombia , and I find it hard to write in English so I apologize .me three wisdom teeth removed over one year and symptoms began around a month later, which were lack of encouragement, tired, agotadoy without power, could neither stand up out of bed. I've gone to many doctors,...

Wisdom tooth extraction [ 5 Answers ]

I had my last two wisdom teeth removed 6 days ago, I was awake and I can not take pain medication because of my sensitive stomach. I am endearing so much pain, my ear is killing me, along with other teeth. I peeked into my mouth earlier and saw a gaping hole between my gum and cheek... what is...

Wisdom tooth extraction [ 2 Answers ]

Thursday I had my lower right wisdom tooth pulled and it's been 3 days later and I'm still in pain. I'm on amoxicillan and 2 other pain relievers and still in pain. I don't have dry socket cause I do have clot in socket. Any suggestions or how long I will feel like this for? Thanks.

View more questions Search