Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    04040075 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2007, 07:13 AM
    Debt of deceased
    When a single parent passes away, leaves no will, yet has a bank account, insurance policy, are grown children responsible for her debt or how will hospital and doctor bills be satisfied?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 27, 2007, 07:19 AM
    The only persons responsbile for debt are those that sign off agreeing to pay it. So unless you and your siblings agree to pay your parent's debt then you aren't responsible for it.

However, your parent's estate IS responsible for the debt. Any outstanding debt has to be paid out of the estate before it can be distributed. So whatever was in bank accounts needs to be used to pay outstanding debt.
    If the executor of the estate does not use the cash assets to pay the debt they can be sued over it.

Insurance policies are not part of the estate and their proceeds go to the beneficiary of the policy.

Even if the estate is small and no will exists. These facts hold true.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deceased Mother's Credit Card Debt [ 1 Answers ]

Am I liable for my deceased mother's credit card debt? I also had an extra authorized card, but the account was hers.

Daughter deceased debt [ 8 Answers ]

My daughter has passed and has credit card debt. She was Georgia common law marriage. Who, if anyone, is responsible for her debts?

Deceased parents debt help ! [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, My mother passed away March of 2005 leaving an acre of land a mobile home (manufactured home) and some cash.My brother and I were named excitor of estate we did not want the mobile home the Creditor repo'd the home and auctioned it off not for the full amount of loan, now want me to...

Liable for debt of deceased mother [ 7 Answers ]

My mother has recently passed away, leaving an outstanding loan. The bank have said that my brothers and I must pay the balance of £4700. However, there is no money in my mothers estate and so we would have to pay this ourselves. Are we liable for payment or should the bank write the debt off?

My deceased husband's credit card debt [ 8 Answers ]

My husband passed away at the end of last May. Since that time, I have diligently tried to pay off all his outstanding debts. His credit card with Chase had a substantial balance. I have already paid off about$5000 (which would have been greater if they hadn't hiked the interest rate to 27%). My...

View more questions Search