Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TeresaM Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2012, 09:15 AM
    New dog was let out last night and won't come inside Scared! Help
    I got a new dog last night. She is an 8 month old pomeranian. She came from a home that was a small duplex with 2 other dogs, 2 cats and 3 people. The people I got her from said before that they rescued her from some people that were not taking good care of her. She looked a mess and starved. She was a little scared on the way home. She took to me but I have a 3 year old 5lb chihuahua fighting for my attention. He did not bite and won't Now she is scared and that is to be expected at first in a new place. I let her out back last night to go potty and check out the back yard but I can't get her back in. She would not even come in when it was raining. She is still out there and I am worried she might get sick. I don't want to force her because it will just upset her more. Any good Advice?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2012, 09:24 AM
    Let me start by saying I think you had good intentions but...

So she's outside in the rain, has been without food, water, shelter all night and you don't know what to do?

How did you introduce her to the other dog? Did you keep them separated or did you allow your other dog to bully and frighten her?

What does "he did not bite and won't" mean? Did your other dog start a fight, a dispute, become aggressive?

SO - lock the previous dog in one place, put the new dog in another. Allowing her outside (again, no shelter, food or water) is neglectful. And no, being scared is NOT to be expected in a new place. I've taken in dogs my whole life and been very careful how they are introduced to each other. I just brought an 18 pound, 3 monh old puppy into my home. I have a 138 pound (at the moment) German Shepherd - and I did my "homework" so I knew no one would be frightened or injured or would have to "fight for my attention."

Was this an organized rescue or simply someone who took her from someone else? Didn't they do a home study?

I don't know what "fighting for my attention" means but I get the feeling something unpleasant happened.

Now - get her inside and separate them. It will take time to get them to co-exist. Did you read anything like this before you got another dog - Leerburg | Introducing a New Dog into a Home with Other Dogs

Are you an adult or a child?

Jun 9, 2012, 09:28 AM
    OMG don't start making up scenarios when you have no clue yet. First she does have food and water out there I gave it to her. Second my dog did not bully her. As soon as I noticed him starting to chase her I got him away and put him in my room. Nothing unpleasant happened. I was just trying to say that the chihuahua is not mean and won't bite. Good grief!

Jun 9, 2012, 09:30 AM
    And we introduced them at the other woman's house. They were fine with each other. When I got them home and let them off there leashes then the chihuahua wanted to play and chased her. Yes he wants my attention so he cuddles up on my so she can't. When she was on my lap and he was also. He acted like he was mad and would not look at me.

Jun 9, 2012, 09:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Mangrum View Post
    Assumtions----Assumptions---Assumptions!
    I know! That is not helpful! I am a very good pet owner. I get my pets spayed and nuetered. Keep all shots up to date. Give them revolution and a pill for intestinal parasites because revolution only covers heartworms, fleas and tics. I'm just not a pet phsycologist and need a little help on calming a scared pup.
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2012, 09:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaM View Post
    And we introduced them at the other womans house. They were fine with each other. When I got them home and let them off there leashes then the chihuahua wanted to play and chased her. Yes he wants my attention so he cuddles up on my so she can't. When she was on my lap and he was also. He acted like he was mad and would not look at me.

Did you read the info I posted about introducing a new dog to an old dog?

You thought he was mad. I can't imagine what the new dog thought.

And I apologize if the dog was outside in the rain and had shelter, food and water.
    Frank Mangrum Posts: 86, Reputation: -3

Jun 9, 2012, 09:52 AM
    And we introduced them at the other womans house. They were fine with each other. When I got them home and let them off there leashes then the chihuahua wanted to play and chased her. Yes he wants my attention so he cuddles up on my so she can't. When she was on my lap and he was also. He acted like he was mad and would not look at me.
    Try this----- Bring chihuahua outside on leash---Allow the two dogs to get acquainted. This may incourage the new dog to come back inside since chihuahua is outside and not inside. Best wishes with your new addition to your home---The 2 dog's will come around and become best of friends. Best of luck---fFrank

Jun 9, 2012, 10:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Mangrum View Post
    Try this----- Bring chihuahua outside on lease---Allow the two dogs to get aquainted. This may incourage the new dog to come back inside since chihuahua is outside and not inside.Best wishes with your new addition to your home---The 2 dog's will come around and be best of friends in a short time frame. best of luck---fFrank
    Thank you very much!
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2012, 10:03 AM
    Leave your door open and let the dog come in at will.

Sometimes rescue dogs that have been bounced from house to house are completely confused and their worlds are turned upside down. Sometimes the best course of action is to do nothing. Open your door, bring the food inside and ignore her. Dogs naturally want to be around other dogs and people. She may not come right up to you, but she will be close enough. Once she is in the house. Walk around and do what you normally do... IGNORE HER. If you can make it to the door, then close it.. if she runs out right away, just ignore her and leave the door open and continue to do what you do. Let the other dog lose.. if your dog goes in and out and no harm is done to it, than the new dog will follow.

Once you have caught her.. I would suggest to tie a very long rope to her so you can grab her at will. I know you don't want things to be traumatic, but if it comes down to the safety of the dog, she's just going to have to deal with you dragging her butt inside. But unless the situation calls for that... put the rope on her for security and just toss her extra nummy treats. Toss them out where she feels safe.. and if she starts eating them, start tossing them closer and closer. Eventually she'll take them from your hand.

I hate to say it, but there is a reason this dog was given up and ignored. Dogs that go with the flow rarely find themselves in these types of situations. You have a lot of work ahead of you. Is it impossible? no.. Are you going to be trying different methods? Very much so.. Is it going to take a while? Yes it will. Trust is one of the hardest things to accomplish with an abused or neglected pet.

And.. he is not mad at you or your other dog. Him not giving eye contact is his way of avoiding you.. If he can't see you, you can't be there...

So... like I mentioned... just ignore him. Open the door to your house, let your other dog go in and out at free will and carry on your day like you always do. The dog will come around.. they're too curious and pack oriented not to. Its just going to take a lot of time, patience and hard love.

Jun 9, 2012, 10:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Did you read the info I posted about introducing a new dog to an old dog?

You thought he was mad. I can't imagine what the new dog thought.

And I apologize if the dog was outside in the rain and had shelter, food and water.
    Of course I did not read it. I just got on here because I needed some help. Just because you may have some experience with dogs and know things does not give you the right to be rude to everyone. If you are not going to be helpful then don't write anything. Also, if I could get her inside I would not have posted this. My problem is getting her inside. I know I have to separate them and I have.

Jun 9, 2012, 10:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    Leave your door open and let the dog come in at will.

Sometimes rescue dogs that have been bounced from house to house are completely confused and their worlds are turned upside down. Sometimes the best course of action is to do nothing. Open your door, bring the food inside and ignore her. Dogs naturally want to be around other dogs and people. She may not come right up to you, but she will be close enough. Once she is in the house. Walk around and do what you normally do... IGNORE HER. If you can make it to the door, then close it.. if she runs out right away, just ignore her and leave the door open and continue to do what you do. Let the other dog lose.. if your dog goes in and out and no harm is done to it, than the new dog will follow.

Once you have caught her.. I would suggest to tie a very long rope to her so you can grab her at will. I know you dont want things to be traumatic, but if it comes down to the safety of the dog, she's just going to have to deal with you dragging her butt inside. But unless the situation calls for that... put the rope on her for security and just toss her extra nummy treats. Toss them out where she feels safe.. and if she starts eating them, start tossing them closer and closer. Eventually she'll take them from your hand.

I hate to say it, but there is a reason this dog was given up and ignored. Dogs that go with the flow rarely find themselves in these types of situations. You have a lot of work ahead of you. Is it impossible? no.. Are you going to be trying different methods? Very much so.. Is it going to take a while? Yes it will. Trust is one of the hardest things to accomplish with an abused or neglected pet.

And.. he is not mad at you or your other dog. Him not giving eye contact is his way of avoiding you.. If he can't see you, you can't be there...

So... like I mentioned... just ignore him. Open the door to your house, let your other dog go in and out at free will and carry on your day like you always do. The dog will come around.. they're too curious and pack oriented not to. Its just going to take a lot of time, patience and hard love.
    Great thank you so much. This is what I was doing except I put the food and water outside closer so she knew it was there and could get it. It gets very hot her in Florida and I was so worried about her. I just wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing.
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2012, 10:46 AM
    Leave your door open and let the dog come in at will..

What did you think about the site I posted? Valuable, not so much? I don't want to keep posting it on other threads if it isn't correct.

(Good post, by the way - very thorough.)
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2012, 09:02 AM
    Great thank you so much. This is what I was doing except I put the food and water outside closer so she knew it was there and could get it. It gets very hot her in Florida and I was so worried about her. I just wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing.
    As long as she has shade and water to drink, she'll be fine in the heat. Dogs are tough... we have a tendency to overly baby them.

Maybe instead of dog food, you should set out some type of cooked food like browned hamburger or chicken. Sit out in the back and focus all your attention on your dog by making a HUGE deal about giving her the treats. The other dog may show up... if so.. throw a piece of food her way. She's not feral, just scared.. but treat her like a feral dog.. throw her the food and ignore her and continue to focus on your dog.. once the other dog seems really interested in what you are doing, walk into your house in a very up beat tone and hopefully the dog will follow.. You might have to do that a couple of times.
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2012, 09:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    What did you think about the site I posted? Valuable, not so much? I don't want to keep posting it on other threads if it isn't correct.

(Good post, by the way - very thorough.)
    Thank you!

I haven't read that site... I'll try to get to it sometime tonight if I can.
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2012, 09:14 AM
    Thank you!

I havent read that site... I'll try to get to it sometime tonight if I can.

I only know from experience, not from training, so it's difficult for me to know what is valuable and what is not.

Jun 10, 2012, 08:02 PM
    As long as she has shade and water to drink, she'll be fine in the heat. Dogs are tough... we have a tendency to overly baby them.

Maybe instead of dog food, you should set out some type of cooked food like browned hamburger or chicken. Sit out in the back and focus all your attention on your dog by making a HUGE deal about giving her the treats. The other dog may show up... if so.. throw a piece of food her way. Shes not feral, just scared.. but treat her like a feral dog.. throw her the food and ignore her and continue to focus on your dog.. once the other dog seems really interested in what you are doing, walk into your house in a very up beat tone and hopefully the dog will follow.. You might have to do that a couple of times.
    Hi, I just wanted to let you know that I took your advice and it turned out great. Both of the dogs are now laying in my lap inside resting while I'm typing this. Lol
    She is very high strung and scared of everything. The least little noise scares her. It will take some time, work and patience but I think she will do good here. Poor thing has never even been potty trained. Once again thanks for your help and your right I do tend to baby my pets.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 10, 2012, 08:28 PM
    Hi, I just wanted to let you know that I took your advice and it turned out great. Both of the dogs are now laying in my lap inside resting while I'm typing this. lol
    She is very high strung and scared of everything. The least little noise scares her. It will take some time, work and patience but I think she will do good here. Poor thing has never even been potty trained. Once again thanks for your help and your right I do tend to baby my pets.
    I'm glad she's inside. I would highly recommend an animal behaviorist to help you with this pups issues, since she is so skittish, and has been tossed around from home to home. It will help a great deal, and now is the time to do it, since she's still young.

I know that babying is the human way of dealing with a frightened animal, but babying too much can actually be very detrimental to our pets. If we coddle them when they show fear, they learn that that fear is justified. Then that fear becomes a phobia and an issue.

I wish you all the best with your new fur baby.
    Rory4488 Posts: 10, Reputation: 0

Jul 31, 2012, 12:51 PM
    @ JudyKayTee-
    Wow you're coming down pretty hard on someone who has their heart in the right place and IS doing her"homework" by asking questions
    You are just rude and thoughtless why not help her out by encouraging
    Get off your soap box!
    @ TeresaM--First yes you should bring her in and separate them I too have a new dog and it is very scared too I have him I the bathroom with his bed food and water and until he relaxes and comes out from under the counter he will stay there... then we will go from there
    He is from a farm where he was not socialized to other people well he is also a year old and so he is very stuck in his ways and very terrified as he endured a plane ride customs and new people myself and my family and new dogs that he can smell
    Every dog is different but with patience and frequent visits to the bathroom wher I talk with him and pet him (as best I can) and he will eventually want to come out ; then we will introduce slowly over time to the other dogs and playing it by ear as to how he reacts and they react as well --it isn't easy and can be messy (they usually pee etc if terrified) and time consuming but if done right it is worth it in the end because then everyone was properly introduced etc and harmony is usually reached in time --theer will be squabbles and sometimes dogs just have to work that out themselves --as long as it isn't serious injurious squabbles etc --dogs are pack animals and need to know their place in the pack to feel happy and have a job --it just isn't known to us... I would love to get inside their minds and see how they figure it all out
    Good luck to you!
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2012, 01:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory4488 View Post
    @ JudyKayTee-
    wow you're coming down pretty hard on someone who has their heart in the right place and IS doing her"homework" by asking questions you are just rude and thoughtless why not help her out by encouraging - get off your soap box!

Once again I find it fascinating that "someone" takes the time to choose a user name, sign on, pick out ONE question out of - literally thousands - criticize me and then roll on.

So - what is your other user name? I'm sure you used the same IP address.

Oh, as long as you're criticizing me, you might run a spell check and try using punctuation. It makes you sound more educated, and it's easier to read.
    Rory4488 Posts: 10, Reputation: 0

Jul 31, 2012, 02:25 PM
    I'm new here and was looking up how to coax a fearful dog and how others have dealt with this common theme-- and ran into your rather insensitive reply to this obviously young girl hoping to help her new dog --maybe she wasn't doing things as we may have, but she was trying and you landed all over her--people like you irk me so I replied-- not realizing as I scrolled down she had worked it out which is great for her and for her 2 dogs... No, I have never been on here before and likely not again --people come for help, suggestions etc... not to be picked apart for silly things such as grammar and punctuation.. except people like you who see the flaws first
    ... sad

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I'm scared I might have a tampon stuck inside of me. [ 8 Answers ]

I'm scared I might have a tampon stuck inside of me. It is possible I forgot to replace the one I took out. I felt around in my vagina and couldn't feel anything and I can't see anything. Blood is still coming out. Do you think I could still have a tampon stuck inside of my vagina?

My dog wakes up at night shaking and scared [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, My dog has been waking up in the middle of the night shaking and scared. He walk to my daughter's room, doesn't go in, and comes back to my side of the bed shaking. He then walks to my husband's side and does the same thing for about two hours, back and forth, back and forth? What could...

Dog died and other dog is peeing and pooping inside house now [ 6 Answers ]

We currently lost one of our dogs quite sudden, she was a 11 year sheppard/lab. We also have a yorki/pom/poo who is only 2 1/2 years old. Since our old dog died, our other dog has reverted back to peeing and pooping in the house. When our other dog was alive they went outside together and this...

Very scared about red spots on inside of cheek [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I just found some red spots on my cheek inside this morning I bite my cheeks a lot but I'm really worried it could mean something like HIV. They're very small not raised one is red and the other is darker. Pleasee help meee ! :(

Dog Is Scared of Brand New Dog House. Why? [ 3 Answers ]

I brought a brand new dog house for my chow chow. I put a pillow and his toy in the house. He would not go in. One day it started to rain, so I had to help him go inside the house to keep him safe from the rain. He stayed in there for a few seconds, came out and he never went back in. I felt sorry...

View more questions Search