Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rsmith5129 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2004, 07:48 PM
    Drive letter for added hard drive not showing
    Hello.

I have just added a second hard drive, with the jumpers set to slave. The bios does recognize the drive and the ribbon cable has been tested and is good. When the My Computer Icon, the drive letter for the second drive is not shown. There are two CD ROM's installed on the secondary IDE bus and these drive letters show up fine. The Primary Hard drive is shown as "C" and the two CD ROMS are shown as "D" and "E". If everything worked right, the slave hard drive would be shown as "D" and the two CD ROMS as "E" and "F". What am I missing?

Do I have to create a drive letter? If so, how?

I am using windows 98SE.

Please Help. Thank You.
    cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Dec 15, 2004, 09:31 PM
    Try setting the jumper to cable select on the slave drive. Also, you may try switching power connectors to the CD ROM drive.
    elftheropopulus Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2005, 05:34 AM
    Try going to this link http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBI/tip4300/rh4341.htm

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NTFS Drive showing Unallocated [ 19 Answers ]

Hi Gang, My first question! XP SP2, 3 HDD's. 1st Drive Primary Active Fat32(0), 2nd Drive Data Fat32(1), 3rd Drive NTFS(2). The problem is that when I plug in the 3rd Drive, it shows up correctly in BIOS, also in ControlPanel/System/Hard Drives, but NOT in MyPC. And In AdminTools,...

CD-ROM not showing [ 3 Answers ]

I just cleaned up an older PC for a friend of mine. The last thing I ran was CHKDSK. Now the system doesn't want to recognize the CD-ROM. It has been working fine and if you insert a CD, it lights up like it is reading it, but the CD-ROM won't show up in either My Computer or Explorer. Any...

Old files showing up now [ 5 Answers ]

I used to download 'adult' files from the net... I have not done so for over a year... just today I found a folder titled 'metadata' and in it was several 'adult' titled files. Does anyone know where this metadata folder would have came from? It seems to be common with P2P file sharing...

WIN98 not showing up on Network [ 12 Answers ]

I am trying to network a XP and a 98SE computer using a router. Both get on the net just fine and the 98 see's the XP with no problem. For the life of me though I can't get 98 to show up on the network. Anyone got any clue's? Thanks for your time. :confused:

Hard Drive not showing up [ 14 Answers ]

Hi I recently unpluged 1 of the IDE cables that was attached to one of my hard drives as I needed to attach my friend hard drive to transfer data from him. I have to do this as I all ready have 3 hard drives installed on my PC + a dvd writer Any way I have just re-attached my hard drive and it...

View more questions Search