Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    concerned_mom Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2012, 08:36 PM
    18 yr old visiting
    My son will be 18 in November and is still wanting to live with me I took your advice last time and told him to wait until he turned 18 however now he tells him he can not come see me this Summer(on my visitation) because he has to get a job to pay for cell phone, gas, and car insurance.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 8, 2012, 03:10 AM
    First its not a good idea to piggyback your question on another thread. This can lead to confusion. So I've moved your question to its own thread.

So your ex is telling your son that he can't come visit because he has to earn money to pay for those things. Is your ex paying for them? Does he have a car now?

Once he is 18 your ex can't stop him. He can, however, cancel his cell phone and car insurance. Why can't you line up a job for him? What type of job would he get where he is now? See if you can find him a similar job.

Jun 8, 2012, 10:26 AM
    Sorry, I am new to getting advice on line and not sure where I am suppose to ask/answer the question
    My son has a car and he is doing odd jobs right now for family members (on his dad's side) to pay for those things. I feel like he is using stuff to control the situation my ex is suppose to pay for 75% of the transportation however I have paid 50% most of the time sometimes more
    I don't think he will let him take his car when he is 18 he is a co signer on the title. This is not my main concern I am happy to purchase another car and phone
    Isn't he now in violation of the parenting plan if he does not pay and let him come visit me?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 8, 2012, 11:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by concerned_mom View Post
    Isn't he now in violation of the parenting plan if he does not pay and let him come visit me?
    That would depend on the terms of the parenting plan. Are you asking whether the parenting plan requires the father to pay the vehicle expenses as part of your visitation rights? That would be unusual, to say the least.

Jun 8, 2012, 11:11 AM
    The parenting plan requires him though pay 75% of the transportation costs it also says I get my son for five weeks in the Summer so if he tells my son he can't come see me because he has to get a job to pay for gas and he won't help pay for gas to come see me isn't that a violation of the parenting plan
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 8, 2012, 11:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by concerned_mom View Post
    The parenting plan requires him tho pay 75% of the transportation costs it also says I get my son for five weeks in the Summer so if he tells my son he can't come see me because he has to get a job to pay for gas and he won't help pay for gas to come see me isn't that a violation of the parenting plan
    Looks like it to me. I imagine the original idea was to put a young child on an airplane, not ask a near-adult to drive there, but it would be the same.

Jun 8, 2012, 11:38 AM
    Yes he was 11 when the plan was put into place that's kind of why I was wondering how much this plan is going to be enforced if my son gets fed up and leaves. I keep thinking if I violate the plan at least I would see a judge and my son would finally have his day in court as well
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 8, 2012, 12:40 PM
    The problem is that the parenting plan may end at 18. And, at 18 your son doesn't have to listen to him.

Jun 8, 2012, 02:03 PM
    I know that he does not have to stay once he is 18 but I am afraid he is not going to wait until November and I don't want to be in trouble when he refuses to go back to his Dad's as a Mom it is really hard to send your 17 year old back to a place that makes him really unhappy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Visiting the Uk [ 0 Answers ]

I left the Uk in September 2004 after serving a 15months sentence.I am now waiting for the granting of my citizenship of another EU country.It has been a long fight to get back but just grateful to God that I have done all that is required of me in the right way. Now I am planning to visit{I MEAN...

Visiting after delivering [ 3 Answers ]

I have quite a few friends who are pregnant/have just delivered and it occurred to me: When is an appropriate time to visit someone in the hospital after they give birth? If they deliver in the morning, is the same night too soon? Is that meant to be time for the parents and their new baby? ...

He's visiting. [ 5 Answers ]

Okay, so my very first post on here was about a guy who lives very far away from me... and comes back to visit a lot. Well, he's coming back tomorrow, and I'm not quite sure what to expect because last I heard he wasn't too happy with me because people were spreading rumors about me making...

Visiting with dog [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, well yesterday me and my mom went to town to visit an old neighbour of ours at a nursing home. When I was walking in I noticed a sign that said, all visiting dogs must be on a leash, now some of you might remember, some might not but a few months ago, I was looking into getting my dog trained...

Visiting the cemetery [ 5 Answers ]

My husband was Jewish (raised Orthodox). I am Christian. We talked about all sorts of things when he was dying and he said over and over that he did not want me to visit the cemetery for the first year OR until I had "moved on." He asked for no promises and I made none. I did keep the...

View more questions Search