Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    14ever1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2012, 09:05 PM
    Physics question-the liquid in a tube
    Here's the question-I don't know how to use a cubed sign so I'll just write: (cubed) next to it or if it's a power I'll write (to the fifth power, etc).

The liquid in the tube has a density of 1.48 g/cm(cubed). The atmospheric pressure is 1.013 X 10(to the fifth power) newtons per square meter. What is the pressure P in the container?

Please show the different steps as you work through them, thank you.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 8, 2012, 07:12 AM
    The convention for showing powers is to use the carat symbol: ^. Thus cm^3 is "centimeters cubed" and 10^5 means "ten to the fifth power."

The pressure due to the liquid is equal to its density multiplied by the depth of the liquid in the tube. As for atmospheric pressure - it presses down on the top of the liquid and thus adds to the overall pressure. However, depending how the tube is constructed an equal and opposite atmospheric pressure operates upward on the bottom of the tube, canceling out the effect of the pressure acting downward. I suppose for this problem they want you to include the atmospheric pressure anyway.

When you add these two pressure be sure to convert to common units such as N/m^2.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Physics Question [ 6 Answers ]

A satellite with an orbital period of exactly 24.0 h is always positioned over the same spot on Earth. This is known as a geosynchronous orbit. Television, communication, and weather satellites use geosynchronous orbits. At what distance would a satellite have to orbit Earth in order to have a...

Please help in liquid pressure question [ 1 Answers ]

http://s13.postimage.org/wssudntdj/2012_02_09_02_06_06_199.jpg The figure shows a tube filled with water to its edge and is fixed on a cylinder Calculate : (a) The ratio of the force exerted by the liquid on the bae and the weight of liquid on is (b) The ratio is not equal to one , why ?...

Physics Question [ 1 Answers ]

Tarzan tries to cross a river by swinging from one bank to the other on a vine that is 12.2 m long. His speed at the bottom of the swing is 8.6 m/s. Tarzan does not know that the vine has a breaking strength of 1.0 * 10^3 N. What is the largest mass that Tarzan can have and still make it safely...

Physics Question, Please help? [ 2 Answers ]

An ideal gas in tank - (minus) 30 F initial temperature is allowed to expand quickly into a larger empty tank. If the volume of the gas in increased from 5000 cm^3 to 25 liters and the pressure is reduced from 8 atm to 2.02 * 10^5 Pa, what is the new temperature of the gas?

View more questions Search