Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andrea0683 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 11:17 PM
    $17,000 tuition debt now in collections
    January of 2006 I attended a private university in Minneapolis, MN before I enrolled I called the financial aid desk to inquire what sort of funding I could receive, since I was entering a program within the school for recovering alcoholics and my parents had a large debt load from my going to treatment, halfway house, legal fees, etc. I was told that I would qualify for independent status even though I was only 22. I was assured that I would have sufficient loans and grants to cover my tuition. I went to the school and went the entire semester without notification of any of the loans I had gotten, I went in to the financial aid office 3 times a week and was told everything was fine. 3 days before the semester ended on a Friday I was called and told that I had not qualified for independent status since that is reserved for people who have been abused and I had gotten a 2000.00 loan leaving me with a balance of 12000.00 which if I did not pay by Monday I would not be able to return to school and would be sent to collections. I had no options to pay this amount of money so I moved out of the dorms and waited for a bill from the school, I have not received a single bill from the college and now I have been sent to collections with a 17000 debt instead of 12000.00 I received the collection letter and called to figure out a way to work it out, I was verbally accosted and told that if I did not pay in full it showed an unwillingness to pay and my wages would be garnished... is there any legal recourse I have against the school??
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 27, 2007, 07:57 AM
    Do you have anything in writing? Your applications for independent status? Your financial aid applications etc? Do you have any statements from the financial aid office in writing?

I would be inclined to to tell the school that you relied on their advice and that you shouldn't be responsible if their advice was erroneous. Let them sue you then walk into court with whatever proofs you can come up with and explain to the judge that you would never have entered the program if you hadn't been assured that your tuition would be covered.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What would you do with $50,000 ? [ 8 Answers ]

Ok lets roll some ideas, what would you do if you have $50,000? What will you invest in? Let me know your brainic ideas but keep it away from pubs and stocks :)

Credit card debt in collections [ 10 Answers ]

OK... this question may have already been asked, but forgive me I am new to this site and also I would like an opinion on my own situation not someone else's... lol Ok so I have a credit card debt of $684.00 and has now been turned over to collections. Now I have heard some people say I should...

Collections Hospital Debt [ 3 Answers ]

I have a $22.351 hospital bill (no insurance) and I have a judgement against me. I live in New York. It was recently possed to me that I could get them (lawyers) to settle for half of this amount with payments made each month until it's gone. How realistic is this scenario? Would they really settle...

Tuition [ 5 Answers ]

I seriosly need to know the pros and cons of tuition(extra classes).I am joining a debate:eek: Please send me links to other websites which r related to what I need to know.Please do help and thank you.

View more questions Search