Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rpn59 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2004, 03:50 PM
    Hebrews 6
    In this chapter it's stated that those who have fallen away after knowing the love and grace of God, can no longer return for you cannot recrucify Christ a second time.

I'm finding this as a major stumbling block to returning to the Lord, :confused: after being away for many years. :confused:
    rpn59 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2004, 04:41 PM
    Need help
    Does any one have any input?? Where have all the bible experts gone? Is this subject to hot for you??
    I'm looking for guidance, encouragement,help. :o
    coach438 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Mar 7, 2005, 10:19 AM
    Hebrews 6
    Hello:

I am sorry no one has offered a response. This is my first time here, so this is a bit late in coming.

Hebrews 6 has long been a difficult passage for many people. But its really because we don't treat the Bible with the respect we should. We often read it as if it were a story book or a history book. While it certainly contains these, that is not its primary function. It is God's word to His people. He demands of us, close examination of what he says. He wants us to put at least some effort into this relationship :).

First of all, this is not talking about salvation. Its talking about repentance. Salvation is what God does. Repentance is what we do.

Second, The phrase, “having fallen away” is in the aorist tense in the Greek. It means that this is not just in the past, but it is ongoing, continual. Then in verse 6b the writer switches to the present tense,

“they are crucifying the Son of God all over again, and subjecting him to public disgrace.”

These are believers who are backsliders. They have fallen back into sin and stay there. If they stay there, then they cannot be brought back into repentance. They have chosen to stay there. Their salvation is assured, but their rewards when they come to the judgement seat will be few. The writer is concerned about how we live our lives. Just as John the Baptist was when he said, "Produce fruit in keeping with repentance."
    Look to verses 7 and 8 and see that we are talking about the fruit - works - and not the root - salvation - of the Christian life.

7 Land that drinks in the rain often falling on it and that produces a crop useful to those for whom it is farmed receives the blessing of God. 8 But land that produces thorns and thistles is worthless and is in danger of being cursed. In the end it will be burned.

Our works as Christians, will be tested by fire on the day of judgement. See . 1 Corinthians 3:11 - 15.

Notice also in verses 7 and 8 that we are talking about 2 different lands. The first field, in verse 7, produces good fruit and so the land is blessed. In verse 8, the land produces that which is worthless and its result is burned up. A better sense of the fact that it is the product of the land that is burned up and not the land itself, is in the literal translation: and that which is bearing thorns and briers [is] disapproved of, and nigh to cursing, whose end [is] for burning; I think further support of the idea that it is the produce that is burned up and not the land is that weeds is in fact what farmers burn up. Its not the land that they burn up. Its an important distinction because the land represents the Christian. We know that salvation is guaranteed, so the Christian won’t be burned up. But at judgement, his works will be tested by fire. Those that are little more than spiritual weeds will be burned up. It’s also worth noting that God’s disappointment in this field’s produce brings Him “nigh to” cursing it. But not quite cursing it.

While our salvation is guaranteed, it is important to remember that God’s expectations of our lives are high. And as I often say, God chooses to partner with us. He has expectations of our pulling our weight. We need to produce good fruit. It stands as evidence to the world of our repentant hearts.

this is a passage that is talking about repentance and reward (the things that accompany salvation).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search