Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dbeelwiegand Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2012, 12:17 PM
    How do I legally remove family member from my home
    My elderly sick parents have a son and his girlfriend living in their house completely unwelcomed. He has taken over half of the house and does not pay for anything. He eats their food. He has asked for money to move out and my parents have agreed to give him five thousand dollars with the condition that he move out immediately. What can we draw up on paper that would be legaly binding him to leave the premises and give up all residence once he has the money. He is a drug addict and user, is lazy and has no sense of responsibility and we are afraid that after he is given that money he will come back for more and stay. He is a second striker, has had a lot of history with the police, and is violent. My mother is an enabler but now has a health condition that need 24 hour care. She also has initial stages of dimentia. No I do not have conservator ship over her yet, and my father will not stand up to him. My father is also, as is my mother, a stroke victim. Is there any way to have him give up his legal residency if he agrees and signs a document
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2012, 12:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dbeelwiegand View Post
    My elderly sick parents have a son and his girlfriend living in their house completely unwelcomed. He has taken over half of the house and does not pay for anything. He eats their food. He has asked for money to move out and my parents have agreed to give him five thousand dollars with the condition that he move out immediately. What can we draw up on paper that would be legaly binding him to leave the premises and give up all residence once he has the money. He is a drug addict and user, is lazy and has no sense of responsibility and we are afraid that after he is given that money he will come back for more and stay. He is a second striker, has had a lot of history with the police, and is violent. My mother is an enabler but now has a health condition that need 24 hour care. She also has initial stages of dimentia. No i do not have conservator ship over her yet, and my father will not stand up to him. My father is also, as is my mother, a stroke victim. Is there any way to have him give up his legal residency if he agrees and signs a document
    Sure.. if its in writing and properly drawn up and signed and witnessed, with copies,. your parents can also have him served for eviction and he won't get a dime if it goes that far... If they get threatening before then... the police can be called.

I however would make it that they don't receive a dime until their stuff is out and the locks are changed.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 7, 2012, 12:30 PM
    Your parents owe him not a penny and can/should evict him. It may take a month or so depending on where they live but paying him to leave is not necessary.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 7, 2012, 12:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dbeelwiegand View Post
    ... my parents have agreed to give him five thousand dollars with the condition that he move out immediately.... Is there any way to have him give up his legal residency if he agrees and signs a document
    Having him sign a document is not going to get the job done. If he refuses to honor the document they will still be in the same situation.

I suggest that, instead, they agree to pay him to move out, after he has done so. Then, after they are gone, they can pay him the money. Or if they choose not to, let them sue him. I sort of wonder if a court would enforce an agreement made, arguably, under duress :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should family member details be included in PR application if legally separated? [ 1 Answers ]

I intend to apply for PR under arranged employment option and my question is related to my PR application. My spouse and I are have been separated for the last 3 years. We have filed for a application for divorce by mutual consent in a family court in India. As per the terms of separation, my...

Remove family member in Minnesota [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter is 23-year and lives with me. I told her to move out and she will not. She drinks everyday, has her boyfriend enter the home at night, and does not pay rent or look for work. Last night her boyfriend entered through the window and I asked him to leave. He then went with her to sleep...

How do I remove someone from my home.legally? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife's aunt moved in my home in December. She pays no rent and has no plans to find a job. I want her to move, she knows it and it seems like she's stalling. How do I put her out without paying out the behind? How does an "Unlawful Detainer" work for me?

Eviction of a family member from a single family home [ 2 Answers ]

My brother who is about 37 years old lives with my father, sister and myself; my brother is an alcoholic and a drug addict and is verbally abusive to my father who is 71 years old and is also disabled. My father wants him to move out of the house; is there a specific amount of time, by law, that...

Remove a family member [ 6 Answers ]

Can I remove an adult family member from my home She does not follow any rules and does not help out or do anything. She comes and goes when she feels like it and is upsetting the house hold

View more questions Search