Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CLMRon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2012, 07:22 AM
    Salary Vs prevailing wage
    My employee is on a weekly salary, he currently was on a job that pays prevailing wage.. the prevailing wage is more than what he gets per hour on salary.. how do I pay him? Deduct the 20 hours of regular pay and add the prevailing hourly or?

Regards,

Ron
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2012, 09:10 AM
    He currently WAS on a job - ?

I have no idea what that means or what you are asking.
    aliseaodo Posts: 1,671, Reputation: 259
    Movie Expert

Jun 20, 2012, 02:34 PM
    What state? Was this a construction type job? Is the employee a laborer or more of an 'in the office' type employee? Are you also being required to submit Certified Payroll?
    (JudyKayTee - if this is a construction project, I think the op means they were on a project (job) that was prevailing wage. I work for an electrical contracting company, and I reference certain projects as 'jobs' - like, 'Oh, Bill is working on the dam removal job next week, then he'll be back to the hospital job'... if this isn't what the op means, I just wasted your time having you read this! ;))
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2012, 02:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by aliseaodo View Post
    What state? Was this a construction type job? Is the employee a laborer or more of an 'in the office' type employee? Are you also being required to submit Certified Payroll?
    (JudyKayTee - if this is a construction project, I think the op means they were on a project (job) that was prevailing wage. I work for an electrical contracting company, and I reference certain projects as 'jobs' - like, 'Oh, Bill is working on the dam removal job next week, then he'll be back to the hospital job'...if this isn't what the op means, I just wasted your time having you read this! ;))

If you are wrong this is not a waste of time. I laughed and laughed - best post of the day. Worth reading no matter what.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 20, 2012, 02:56 PM
    Each state has their own minimum wage laws and some are complicated, so tell us the state and the hourly rate he was on and now will be getting.

Salary is generally paid as a fixed amount each week for a set number of hours and 'hourly' doesn't enter into it. But it isn't clear what you are asking.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 20, 2012, 03:06 PM
    Yes, also if they are on salary, they are on salary, and an hourly rate has nothing to do with this.
    aliseaodo Posts: 1,671, Reputation: 259
    Movie Expert

Jun 20, 2012, 03:31 PM
    Thanks JudyKay that makes me laugh!

Joy - that's why I asked what state too - in my state, if you are doing work on a job that is a prevailing wage job, anyone that does labor on that job must be paid no less than what the prevailing wage has been determined to be for the labor classification (electrician, asphalt tender, pipe welder, etc).

Our salary guys (project managers, estimators. Etc) have no classification on the prevailing wage 'chart' - so they do not have to be paid prevailing wage.(Technically, they are not performing 'labor' on the job - they are more "behind the scenes")

I don't understand why a construction company would pay their laborer salary. That doesn't make sense to me - I'm wondering if the employee the op is talking about is possibly 'exempt' as well...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Salary and prevailing wage [ 1 Answers ]

I am an employee on salary. We work on prevailing wage projects all the time and I do the work of a general laborer and pipelayer yet my hourly salary is less than that of the prevailing wage. Is this legal? Do I have any recourse?

Prevailing Wage form A-1-131 [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: Hello. My question is, in what category (Fed. Tax, FICA, State Tax & SDI) does CA Training Tax, Medicare, FUTA & CA SUI (my accounts) go under when filling out a "Public Works Payroll Reporting Form"?

View more questions Search