Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catangel49ca Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 08:41 PM
    Dystonia, Severe Spasams

Is it possible for Dystonia of the leg to spread to other parts of the body? A present from a stroke.
    Wiglet Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Mar 9, 2007, 05:17 PM
    Maybe you could explain a little more about the situation?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 9, 2007, 05:23 PM
    Here is info about Dystonia from the Mayo Clinic's website.

Your doctor may refer to certain classifications of dystonia to distinguish how it affects your body:
    • Focal dystonia is limited to muscles in a specific region: a single limb, eyelids, jaw and tongue, vocal cords, or neck.
    • Segmental dystonia affects two or more parts of your body adjacent to each other.
    • Multifocal dystonia affects two or more regions not adjacent to each other.
    • Generalized dystonia affects all or nearly all of your body.
    • Hemidystonia affects only one side of your body.
    For most people, symptoms begin in a single region, but they may spread. Sometimes, they may be linked to a specific action. For example, you may experience involuntary contractions in one leg when walking forward but not when running forward or walking backward.
    Dystonia in a specific region usually progresses so that contractions are more frequent or not limited to a specific kind of action. It may also progress to other regions of the body. Rates of progression vary significantly, but symptoms usually plateau within a few years.
    Stress, fatigue or anxiety may temporarily worsen symptoms. Dystonia may be less apparent when you're relaxed or your limbs are at rest, and the contractions usually cease when you're in a deep sleep.
    The affected region of the body may provide clues to the progression of the disorder. When it begins in a leg, especially during childhood, dystonia is more likely to progress to generalized dystonia. When it begins in a single location in the upper body, it may progress to other regions, but it's not as likely to become generalized.
    The age of onset itself offers clues to progression. If the disorder appears in childhood or early adolescence, it's quite likely to progress to generalized dystonia, but dystonias developing well into adulthood rarely generalize to the whole body.
    The impact of dystonia on a person's quality of life varies depending on the part of the body affected and the severity of contractions. For example, dystonia of the eyelids, with rapid blinking or squinting, can be so severe as to make a person functionally blind. Dystonia of the neck muscles may cause severe pain. Dystonia of the jaw and tongue muscles may cause slurred speech or difficulty eating or swallowing. Severe dystonia in the limbs or the neck can result in contracture of tendons and permanent distortion in posture.
    Some types of dystonia are limited to a specific, repetitive task. Common versions of this include writer's cramp or musician's cramp, the involuntary and often painful contraction of the hand and arm muscles used in writing or playing an instrument.
    For a few people with dystonia, symptoms may go away or become extremely mild for a period of months or years, but the symptoms usually reappear.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Severe Childhood sexual abuse [ 5 Answers ]

In Canada, how does one go about reporting severe childhood sexual abuse that took place 40 years ago... I'm not sure charges can be laid, or even if this man can be found or is even alive, I've tried looking, reaching out to classmates from high school who knew the family, but the wall seems to...

*I NEED HELP* severe depression [ 7 Answers ]

I have 15 out of 17 signs of depression from a website, almost every quiz I've taken says I have severe depression or bipolar, I'm an actress naturally so I naturally hide my feelings, and can't help it. I have a lot of trouble, even on IM, saying that I'm not OK, (unless to total strangers like...

Severe peeling on cedar siding [ 4 Answers ]

I hope someone can help us, and if not steer us to someone who might be able to. Thank You. My wife and I built a house in Southeastern Wisconsin at the end of 2001 and chose to use cedar siding. Construction began at the end of 01 and the house was sided in November. Because of the weather...

Where To Start With Severe Debt? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello all! My girlfriend moved to NY to go to school about six years ago. She was young and dumb and accrued large amounts of credit card debt, school loans, doctor bills, etc. She owes about $12k in student loans (they've been defaulted for about 5 years) $3 - 5k in credit card debt and $3k in...

Acute Severe Dizziness [ 3 Answers ]

I have developed acute severe dizziness when changing positions. Could it be an inner ear infection?

View more questions Search