Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stargames66 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 08:25 PM
    American Married to Asian can I claim my wife?
    I am an American married to a Filipino... We were married May 27, 2006 in the Philippines... She is still in PHi awaiting spousal visa and has never been to USA... All of my income was produced in USA... Can I claim her as a dependent?

Thank you for your input
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 27, 2007, 11:53 AM
    No, you CANNOT claim her as a dependent because she was NOT a resident of the U.S. at any time in 2006.

However, you CAN file jointly with her. When filing jointly, your spouse's physical location is irrelevant.

See my multiple postting over the past three weeks to see how to do it.

If you need my professional tax help, contact me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am married to a women But am still In love with my Ex wife [ 13 Answers ]

I need this question answered. I have been divorced for about 4 years now. We haven't talked since we separated. Well I recently got married and my ex wife got married 7 months ago. Well I had to contact her cause of an issue about a car that we owned. Since we divorced I lived in Kansas and her in...

Filing tax Married but wife not in US [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I got married last year now, 1. Can I select filing status married although my wife is not here with me in US 2. To get ITIN for my wife can I leave the visa information balnk on W-7 form Thanks

American citizen want's to get married [ 2 Answers ]

I'm an American citizen and my soon to be wife are trying to get married, she was born in Mexico and is not a citizen of the U.S. How do I go about getting married and her becoming a legal U.S. citizen?

How to claim my thai wife [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I am a natural born citazin and my wife is thai. She doesn't have a SSN # yet.She has been here in the states with me for 8 months. My question is how do I claim her on my tax return to get the best deduction? Thank you Gre4gg Blevins US navy

View more questions Search