Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cardomb Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 08:22 PM
    Installing a 60 AMP sub panel for a work shop
    I have a 200 AMP main panel for my residence with all the breaker slots filled. I plan on removing 2 20 amp breakers and installing a 1 60 x 2 20 amp consolidated breaker in to the panel. Well at least I am told I can do this. I plan on having 2 240 VAC 30 amp breakers in the shop (one will have a 240 15 amp compressor on it and the other will be used for a welder). They will not be used at the same time, but just wanted different locations. I also plan on having 12 20 amp receptacles around the shop including 6 fluorescent lamps (8 ft long). I calculate with all lights on they will pull around 5.7 amps. I also plan to have flood lights on all four corners of the shop for outdoor use. I calculate these when they are all on at 6 amps. The 12 20 amp circuits will be placed on 4 separate breakers, the indoor fluorescent lights on 1 20 amp and the outside lights on 1 20 amp. Is 60 Amps sufficient? If so, what size sub panel do I use in the shop? I do not believe I can get a 60 amp panel with the necessary breaker slots. Should I use a 100 amp panel.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2007, 09:11 PM
    A 60 amp feeder is fine, and I don't think they make a panel rated smaller than 100 amp, so that is fine also.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

200 amp panel feeding a 100 amp panel roughly 130' away [ 7 Answers ]

Hi all, We are building a apartment above the garage,my question is what size wire do I need to run from the 200 amp panel to the 100 amp panel roughly 130' away? I want to use aluminum wire as I think copper would be to costly. Thanks for your help in advance, Dude :eek:

100 amp sub-panel [ 3 Answers ]

Can I put a 100 amp sub-panel in my attic? My attic has pull down stairs and is unfinished. I was hoping I can put a sub in my attic to make it easier for numerous runs I have to do on the second floor. I want to be up to code and do not want any issues with homeowners insurance. Thanks, mike

60 amp breaker at service panel [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I have my spa totally wired, using a spa disconnect with gfi. I am now at the end of the line, with 3 #4 thhn coming from disconnect box, and ready to hook up to service panel. I have a 2 pole 60 amp breaker, and I am not sure what wires go where at the breaker panel. I think the red and...

Sub panel 40 amp wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 70 amp sub panel. I'm trying to figure out how to wire in a 40amp breaker in the sub from the panel in my house. I have two hot wires coming in to separate lugs, one neutral, but the breaker itself has one trip/reset lever yet has two screws on the bottom of the breaker;one on each side....

125 amp sub panel [ 5 Answers ]

What size wire do I need to pull for a 125 amp sub panel. Thank you

View more questions Search