Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2012, 02:22 PM
    FDR D Day radio address June 6,1944
    I had heard General Eisenhower's address to the troops many times. But I recently stumbled upon this radio address by FDR to the nation.
    FDR D-Day Speech June 6, 1944 - YouTube
    My fellow Americans: Last night, when I spoke with you about the fall of Rome, I knew at that moment that troops of the United States and our allies were crossing the Channel in another and greater operation. It has come to pass with success thus far.

And so, in this poignant hour, I ask you to join with me in prayer:

Almighty God: Our sons, pride of our Nation, this day have set upon a mighty endeavor, a struggle to preserve our Republic, our religion, and our civilization, and to set free a suffering humanity.

Lead them straight and true; give strength to their arms, stoutness to their hearts, steadfastness in their faith.

They will need Thy blessings. Their road will be long and hard. For the enemy is strong. He may hurl back our forces. Success may not come with rushing speed, but we shall return again and again; and we know that by Thy grace, and by the righteousness of our cause, our sons will triumph.

They will be sore tried, by night and by day, without rest-until the victory is won. The darkness will be rent by noise and flame. Men's souls will be shaken with the violences of war.

For these men are lately drawn from the ways of peace. They fight not for the lust of conquest. They fight to end conquest. They fight to liberate. They fight to let justice arise, and tolerance and good will among all Thy people. They yearn but for the end of battle, for their return to the haven of home.

Some will never return. Embrace these, Father, and receive them, Thy heroic servants, into Thy kingdom.

And for us at home -- fathers, mothers, children, wives, sisters, and brothers of brave men overseas -- whose thoughts and prayers are ever with them--help us, Almighty God, to rededicate ourselves in renewed faith in Thee in this hour of great sacrifice.

Many people have urged that I call the Nation into a single day of special prayer. But because the road is long and the desire is great, I ask that our people devote themselves in a continuance of prayer. As we rise to each new day, and again when each day is spent, let words of prayer be on our lips, invoking Thy help to our efforts.

Give us strength, too -- strength in our daily tasks, to redouble the contributions we make in the physical and the material support of our armed forces.

And let our hearts be stout, to wait out the long travail, to bear sorrows that may come, to impart our courage unto our sons wheresoever they may be.

And, O Lord, give us Faith. Give us Faith in Thee; Faith in our sons; Faith in each other; Faith in our united crusade. Let not the keenness of our spirit ever be dulled. Let not the impacts of temporary events, of temporal matters of but fleeting moment let not these deter us in our unconquerable purpose.

With Thy blessing, we shall prevail over the unholy forces of our enemy. Help us to conquer the apostles of greed and racial arrogancies. Lead us to the saving of our country, and with our sister Nations into a world unity that will spell a sure peace a peace invulnerable to the schemings of unworthy men. And a peace that will let all of men live in freedom, reaping the just rewards of their honest toil.

Thy will be done, Almighty God.

Amen.

cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 6, 2012, 03:06 PM
    I would like to add this and say god bless to all that have served throughout the world for freedom.

Normandy Speech: President Reagans Address Commemorating 40th Anniversary of Normandy/D-Day 6/6/84 - YouTube
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2012, 06:35 PM
    Yes D Day was a great day for world freedom
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2012, 04:25 AM
    My observation... Imagine a President in the 21st century getting away with leading the nation in a prayer...
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2012, 03:36 PM
    Yes first you would have to find a man of faith
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 7, 2012, 03:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    My observation... Imagine a President in the 21st century getting away with leading the nation in a prayer...
    It happens when a country is populated by a majority of citizens who confess only one religion.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2012, 03:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    It happens when a country is populated by a majority of citizens who confess only one religion.
    I guess the minority decided to be a little involved. :-)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 7, 2012, 04:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    I guess the minority decided to be a little involved. :-)
    That minority has grown and diversified since FDR was hanging around. And the majority doesn't pray much any more about anything.
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2012, 04:21 PM
    I think that overs the years the fringes of all groups have had bigger platforms (the internet) to voice their opinions.
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2012, 06:39 PM
    Some stupid idea has emerged that you have to be relevant to all groups irrespective of their views. The idea that public prayer is contrary to the idea of separation has been misused to silence those whose voices should be the loudest.

We have forgotten; it is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of an angry god
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2012, 01:12 AM
    There is no god para.
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2012, 01:13 AM
    Stupid AMHD double-post LOL.
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2012, 05:36 AM
    Much as I expected... The President can barely get out the words "God bless America" without the usual whining about "separation of Church and State " . If the President led the nation in prayer as FDR did then I expect some heads would spontaneously explode.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2012, 06:41 AM
    Tom, no one whined about Obama and Hillary openly campaigning at predominantly black churches in 2008 or Obama invoking Jesus “as a Christian” in support of his nanny state policies. Separation for thee but not for me... more of that "do as I say and not as I do" liberal policy.
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2012, 06:46 AM
    Unfortunately you have to play that game in the US. An openly atheist candidate would face a lot of scorn for some unknown reason. Every single candidate does it if they want to continue playing the I-want-to-be-president game.
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2012, 06:54 AM
    You are right karma it is a game, where I come from openly agnostic and atheist candidates have become leaders, the world has not ended, nor have the candidates of faith been offended. It does make for some interesting situations at state funerals and the opening of parliament but then so does having aboriginals carry out smoking ceremonies, I actually find that offensive. The US is a more primitave place in these respects.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2012, 07:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    The idea that public prayer is contrary to the idea of seperation has been misused to silence those whose voices should be the loudest.
    Hello clete:

I know you're not American so you can't be held responsible for NOT knowing what the law is.. But, there is NO excuse for Americans to not know it, and MOST don't... I think they Want to play the victim...

The truth is, public prayer is FINE. There's NOTHING illegal about a guy, or a GROUP of guys breaking out into prayer ANYWHERE in this fine country of ours... PUBLIC prayer is NOT illegal...

GOVERNMENT organized prayer is illegal.. That's NOT a hard distinction to grasp. I don't know WHY the ENTIRE Christian population doesn't get it...

Besides, if Obama is Kenyon Muslim, he would have led the nation in a MUSLIM prayer on D day, and I don't think the people who are lamenting the loss of prayer would like THAT too much.. Doncha think?

excon
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2012, 07:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post

Besides, if Obama is Kenyon Muslim, he would have led the nation in a MUSLIM prayer on D day, and I don't think the people who are lamenting the loss of prayer would like THAT too much.. Doncha think?

excon
    Hi Ex I get where you are coming from, thing is your laws get changed but your ideas don't or is it the other way round. I think the thing is generalised prayers can get past the barrier, but get specific, mention the name of Jesus and you have an uproar. I get the idea that no one objects to God bless america or in God we trust but take it a step further. BO would have the good sense to know that DDay has nothing to do with Muslims whether he is closet muslim or not.
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2012, 07:12 AM
    I get the idea that no one objects to God bless america or in God we trust but take it a step further
    Yeah actually they do.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2012, 07:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Yeah actually they do.
    Hello again,

Yes, I actually DO... I think you need to re-read what I said above.. GOVERNMENT lead prayer is ILLEGAL. Praying on our MONEY is ILLEGAL. Praying in our Pledge of Allegiance is ILLEGAL. Of course I object...

But, YOU, on the other hand, or your friends, or your radio station can gather together and say those words as MUCH as you like. You can PRINT it on ANYTHING you like... You can MAIL it to ANYBODY you like. YOUR rights to practice YOUR religion ANY way you like is NOT curtailed by having our MONEY be MONEY.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Our due date is June 16 2012 what day was the baby conceived? [ 2 Answers ]

I don't know too much about the pregnancy besides the due date... Can you help me

Last day I could get my depo was on June 28th it is now July 6th and my period still [ 0 Answers ]

Hasn't came. I took a hpt but it was negative. I've been on the depo for 2 years I always got my period week before my 3 month depo shot ran out could I be pregnant?

Child abandonment ?Fathers Day back in June of 2009 my sons father and my new boyfrie [ 2 Answers ]

Fathers Day back in June of 2009 my sons father and my new boyfriend got into a texting argument about the fact that my sons father didn't want or have the time to spend with our son on Fathers Day - That led to my sons father freaking out and trying to go after my boyfriend when he came to drop...

June 11, had sex with ex, June 15 got my period, June 25-29 had sex boyfriend who is father? [ 4 Answers ]

June 11 had sex with ex, June 15 got period, June 25-29 had sex with boyfriend of 9 yrs, I'm pregnant now who is the father>

How do I find the walmart radio email address? [ 1 Answers ]

The email I was given is [email protected], but that does not work. Anyone know there email request address?

View more questions Search