Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TABsGirl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2012, 09:38 AM
    My parakeets cere is turning dark almost black. What's wrong with him?
    My Australian budgie parakeet just lost his cage mate. I didn't realize it until I looked at the dead bird Polo. His cere was black. They were both males with blue ceres. Now Marcos cere is steadily turning darker. Does this happen with age? Or is Marco getting sick with something Polo had. Both birds were in the range of 7 to 9 years old.
    mikeyedi Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2012, 02:21 PM
    Is it possible it's a female because females ceres turn dark and flacky when there ready to mate.

Jun 6, 2012, 06:12 PM
    But we know it's a male because for six years of his life he's had a blue cere. *laughs* and more than once he has tried mounting his cagemate and viceversa. XD Plus our vet did a blood test on them after we first bought the pair as young birds. They were definitely both males.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 6, 2012, 06:19 PM
    It's very odd for a budgies cere to change color after one year of age. The cere color usually reaches its final color before 1 year of age. The color differences can determine whether the budgie is male or female. A darker (brown, not black) cere, indicates a female bird. Brown is not a normal color for a male.

I really wish I could give you a diagnosis, but considering that this is an older budgie, and this is a sudden change in color, I really would recommend seeing a vet about this.

Good luck.

Jun 6, 2012, 08:34 PM
    Thanks. So their cere color doesn't change darker as they get older. So that means both birds had something. I will take him to the vet as soon as possible. I don't want Marco dying from whatever this is that Polo had.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What's wrong with him? [ 4 Answers ]

My dog is an 11 week old german sheperd. He hasn't been eating for 4 days and throws up all the water he drinks. He is some what playfull but mostly just sits there.

What's wrong with me [ 11 Answers ]

It's been a life long problem... I just can't seem to hold interest in anything. It's not that I don't have interests, it's just when I engage in them and learn how limited they are I just grow tired of it. I attribute it to why I can't hold a job for more than a few months, because I have to make...

Naturally brown dark hair, been dying it black, WANT BLACK OUT& dark blonde in [ 5 Answers ]

So, I have been dying it for a while now, BUT I want the black out... should I get it stripped then leave it alone? OR try L'Oreal ColorZap (it's supposed 2 get color out). I REALLY want to put some warm colors in it, like strawberry blonde & honey blonde highlights on top of my natural color......

Dyeing hair from dark black brown to dark blond [ 1 Answers ]

Hello guys my hair is kind dark brown black I tried dying it with loreal with golden brown long time ago and some other colors I don't remember lol but doesn't turn out what I want to be but its OK. I always dye my hair by myself so always ready for the results and its OK can't complain. But...

View more questions Search