Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ezzie Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 06:49 PM
    Graphics card
    Hey there!

I have a Dell 5150 Series and was looking to update the graphics card, how ever I have a spare graphics card but it seems too big for the computer, is there any other sort of graphics card I could buy for my machine? :)
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Feb 27, 2007, 02:33 PM
    There are a lot of graphics card out there. All depends on what your budget is. I have a few 5150's at my workplace as test PCs, and only single slot short to medium length graphics card will fit, thanks to the BTX form factor that it uses. So if your thinking of those new monster video cards out there, your out of luck. :o

Feb 27, 2007, 03:45 PM
    Thanks for the help on that. Is there any chance u can post a few links about those cards, don't worry about the budget, I'm looking for something nice :)

Feb 27, 2007, 07:43 PM
    video card roundup 2007 - Google Search

Feb 28, 2007, 05:10 AM
    Would these cards fit the Dell 5150 ? :)
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2007, 05:34 AM
    Just to give you all a chuckle, I have an ATX case, but I bought the 8800GTX which is a good amount bigger than any other graphics card out there, I had to cut a chunk out of my hard drive bays in order to get it to fit! Eek!

Feb 28, 2007, 07:28 AM
    Lol, Im not sure what graphics card I need that card I had in my old computer is too big for the slot in my new one, its like the graphics card has to be made smaller O.O
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 28, 2007, 07:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezzie
    Would these cards fit the Dell 5150 ? :)
    There are three types of card on the market; PCI, AGP and PCI Express. A PCI card will fit into any of the bank of peripheral slots. However, most motherboards have a separate slot for video, usually to the left of the bank of PCI slots. These are either AGP or PCI Express. Older PCs will use AGP, newer ones, PCI Express.

Check with Dell to see what type of slot you have. Just log into their WEB site and enter your PC Tag number.

Feb 28, 2007, 08:27 AM
    The Dell 5150 uses a PCI-Express slot. Because of the BTX form factor, a long video card will meet interference from the heatsink/fan shroud.

Your limited to a video card that is max. 10 inches in length , single slot soultion only.

Since there are so many variations of the same basic graphics chips, it would be hard to recommend any one as they are all quite comparable.

Mar 5, 2007, 05:19 PM
    Well thanks for the Info all. I was wondering if
    http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/-/668/875...archtype=genre
    Would be OK? :)

Mar 5, 2007, 05:46 PM
    That will fit nicely. Decent card too, for the price. :)

Mar 11, 2007, 02:16 PM
    So, I orederd the card and got, was happy and about to put it into my machine then I looked at the box and they sent me "ATI Radeon 512mb x1600pro AGP Version" :(

Mar 12, 2007, 07:02 AM
    That's unfortunate... Mail order returns can be such a hassle, I'm surprised they sent an AGP though, you would think that the default version would be PCI-E...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Graphics card prevents startup [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Nvidia geforce FX 5600 graphics card... It has been working fine with my computer up until a month ago and it keeps getting worse. At first in games the graphics would completely mess up and now I can't even start my computer with the card pluged in. If I have the card pluged in my mouse,...

Graphics card choices [ 1 Answers ]

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4B7B http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=49NK http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=45DW Will upgrade system some time, I've been looking around for more graphics cards and have narrowed it down to these... I think. I've...

New Graphics Card [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 9800pro. I want a new AGP graphics card with a good performance increase from this for about £100. PCI-E is out of the question so don't bother. Also the graphics on my MOBO is DDR, will other types of DDR such as DDR2 and DDR3 graphics cards work on this? The MOBO is an Abit V-10.

Graphics Card Problems [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I recently purchased a GeForce 6200 256MB AGP graphics card for online gaming. The card works fine as do the games but I am no longer able to use windows live (msn) messenger or some other software that has video clips in it. The computer just freezes when I try to launch the messenger. Also...

Need help with a new graphics card [ 4 Answers ]

OK the help I need is some generous soul to lend me $1999 for This Stonker !!!. I'll even time share it if you want ;)

View more questions Search