Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spanky405 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 06:13 PM
    Rights of a father not listed on birth certificate
    I live in Louisiana and am pregnant with my first child. The father of the baby has expressed no interest in the baby and will not be listed on the birth certificate. What rights, if any will he have even if he isn't listed on the birth certificate?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2007, 09:22 AM
    Hello spanky:

His name written on the birth certificate DOESN'T give him any rights at all. If he's the father, even if his name ISN'T on the birth certificate, he has plenty of rights.

excon
    tinkerbell77 Posts: 96, Reputation: 6

Apr 6, 2007, 01:52 PM
    I've heard they have to be listed to be intitled to rights. And if he wants rights he could get a paternity test to establish visitation and custody. But maybe I'm wrong... I'd check with your state laws. I think they are all different.
    Good luck!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 6, 2007, 02:04 PM
    The only difference is if not listed he will have to prove paternity, but he still retains every right just like he was listed as for as rights to visit, rights to custody, and all the same obligations such as chld support and also health insurnce. So before he can inforce any of his rights he will if not listed prove he is the father

What is very important after the child is born to get a custody order from the court get vistitation set ( if he does not want it, no problem) and get a child support order in place to help the child.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No father listed on birth certificate how can husband adopt [ 15 Answers ]

I live in KS. I don't know who my baby's biological father is, how can my husband adopt? There is no fater listed on the birth certificate. And what if someone later in life were to question if they were the father what would happen then?

Birth certificate [ 5 Answers ]

As an adult is there any way to get your parents names off your birth certificate? Can that area of the birth certificate be blank?

New step father wants to adopt child that has no father on birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new step father and I wish to adopt my 4 year old step son and my 8 year old step son . The 4 year old does not have a father listed on the birth certificate and the 8 year old does but the bio-father has not made any kind of contact in 5 years but is court ordered to pay child support and...

No father listed [ 2 Answers ]

I did not list a father on my child's birth certificate. I am now married and husband wants to give the child his last name. We now live in another state but child was born in Arkansas. Can someone please advise us.

Birth Certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I gave birth to my child but it wasn't my ex husband. We were separated for a while but we didn't get a divorce yet. In child birth certificate, there is no name on the father status because I was still married. Hospital left it blank because I was still married. Now that I'm divorce. I want the...

View more questions Search