Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    siju Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2004, 02:05 AM
    Needed help with Linux installation
    Hi folks,

I am basically a windows user keen to enter the world of Linux. I was using which was dual boot, which contained red hat Linux 9.0 and win 98.
    Last week I had a virus attack and had to re install windows again. As a result
    Every time the computer boots grub is not coming. Now I tried to install red hat Linux 9.0 on the existing Linux partitions. But while it is installing it is showing the
    unable to align partition correctly. This probably means another
    partitioning tool generated an incorrect partitioning table, because it did not have correct BIOS geometry. it is safe to ignore but ignoring may cause warning (fiscable) problems with some boot loaders.

Even though the Linux distribution is installing, grub boot loader is not loading.

So what to do?

As a matter of fat I had used partition magic 8.0 to create a new fat32 partition and later merged it with another existing fat 32 partition. After this only the problem is coming.

Now whenever I try to open partition magic it is showing the message

Init failed error 117
    partitions drive letter cannot be identified.

In fact when I take partition info tool
    it is giving the message partition contains errors.

When I check the E: drive it is giving the message

error #114 logical starting at 40965813 is not one head away from EPBR

Please note that I am just a beginner in these matters. So any help would be appreciated
    Wendy225 Posts: 240, Reputation: 4

Jan 18, 2005, 08:36 PM
    Try this
    Try this website out, hopefully it has an answer for you.

http://www.linux.org/docs/beginner/install.html :)
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Jan 19, 2005, 12:14 AM
    You know, I could have sworn I saw this message before.

And you know what, I did.

This is why nice penguins do not cross-post. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Needed help with Linux installation [ 2 Answers ]

Hi folks, I am basically a windows user keen to enter the world of Linux. I was using which was dual boot, which contained red hat Linux 9.0 and win 98. Last week I had a virus attack and had to re install windows again. As a result Every time the computer boots grub is not coming. Now I tried...

Linux to Mac [ 3 Answers ]

How do I get this Linux PC talking to my old Mac? I have Mandrake 9.2 and KDE desktop. The Mac is has a Power PC chip and is running Mac 7.6.1. I have a Belkin router 4 port router hard wired to both of them by ether net. The router feeds my cable modem to both. Since a driver for my HP...

Getting linux [ 1 Answers ]

Hi It's me again. First of all let me thank all the experts that have helped me with my problems. "THANK YOU GUYS" I ran all different sorts of scans on the computer and now it's running faster because all the rubbish files are deleted and the spy sweeper has killed all the spies. One of the...

View more questions Search