Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wolverine77 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2010, 07:38 PM
    http://www.rediff.com/news/2006/dec/21hague.htm
    According to this, India is a part of the Hague Convention...

My case is same as kudosToTax guy. I have asked my wife to get an apostille from the US embassy in Mumbai. I have a question though. Once my wife gets the required certified copy with an apostille, does she need to courier me the copies or can she scan the certified copies and send it to me?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 7, 2010, 11:58 AM
    Both the notarized photocopy and the apostille MUST be originals; scanned copies will be rejected by the IRS.
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

May 8, 2010, 03:53 AM

The consulate MAY NOT certify.
    From Pub. 1915:
    Consular Officers at U.S. Embassies and Consulates overseas may not certify true copies of foreign public documents and will refer applicants to the foreign authority that issued the document.
     Have the copies notarized by a foreign notary. However, foreign notaries are only acceptable from States that are party to the Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalization for Foreign Public Documents. The Hague Convention provides for the simplified certification of public (including notarized) documents to be used in countries that have joined the Convention. A certification will be issued in the form of an “apostille” which will be attached to the copy of the document. If the document originates in a country that is not party to the Convention, applicants should have the document certified by the foreign authority that issued it.
    Note: The apostille must stay attached to the copy of the document when it is sent to the IRS.
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

May 8, 2010, 03:56 AM

Please note that there is a new revised version of the W-7 issued in 2010.
    http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw7.pdf
    See also:
    http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1915.pdf
    Senior Tax Expert

May 10, 2010, 01:27 PM
    There is also a new version of IRS Pub 519, which can be downloaded from Internal Revenue Service.
    dalveermarwah Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2011, 08:09 AM
    Hi,
    I have similar case. My wife and kid are right now in India (non us citizen) and I have to file ITIN for them. We have got an appointment from US embassy in Mumbai India for the same.
    I have a doubt about the fees for notarization. It is mentioned 50$. Will that be for entire set of the passport or for each page?

Thanks,
    Dalveer
    anna60 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2012, 07:16 AM
    I need certified copy of my USA passport very fast for studying in Norway. Where and who can do it. Thanks
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 13, 2012, 12:05 PM
    If you are in the U.S. at any local bank.

If you are in Norway, a local notary can do it, because the apostille will NOT apply for Norway since it is part of the Euroipean Union.
    nag_ys Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2012, 09:21 PM
    Hi tax experts,
    After going through this thread, I got a doubt for getting passport notary for a dependent in India
    Does Apostille is required after notary from US Consulate?
    The consulate mentions the fees is 50$ per signed seal. Does this mean if the passport is having non empty pages of 5 then it will be 250$ or only 50$?
    If it is 250$ I don't want to go for it.
    Please reply
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 18, 2012, 05:22 PM
    If the U.S. consulate certifies, no apostille is required.

Get ONLY passport picture page certified.
    mesg2anil Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2012, 05:22 AM
    My question is for "AtlantaTaxExpert"

Hi,

I want to get notary done for my wife and son's passport photocopy, where should I go to get the notary done? I live in Bengaluru, Karnataka State in India. If at all I need to go to US embassy, do I need to take appointment first?

Also, I want to know, can I go and get notary on my wife and son's passport photocopies? Is it necessary to take my wife and kid to US embassy? In case I can get it done, what all documents I need to carry?

Please suggest..!

Regards,
    Anil
    Senior Tax Expert

May 9, 2012, 07:18 AM
    Anil:

Contact the U.S. embassy to find out if they still certified passport photocopies. Some embassies still do it; others do not. If they do, make the appointment and get it done there, as the embassy certification is best.

If not, any licensed Indian notary will do, but you must take the added step of getting an apostille, which is a certification that the passports are authentic Indian passports. You get the apostille from the Indian Interior Ministry. There should be an office of the Interior Ministry in Bengaluru.

If going to the U.S> embassy involves extensive travel, the use of the Indian notary and the apostille process may be the better course of action.

If you want to use my servicesas a Certifying Acceptance Agent, contact me at the email address below, or check out my profile to find my email address and webiste links.
    anilsaroj Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2012, 10:37 PM
    Hi,

Please give me one more info, my son's passport is expired, but I need to get notary done, in this situation...
    1. Do I need to get new passport and notary done on new passport to apply for ITIN no.
    2. I can take old passport copy to US embassy to get the notary done to get ITIN no.

Please help.

Regards,
    Anil

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    Anil:

Contact the U.S. embassy to find out if they still certified passport photocopies. Some embassies still do it; others do not. If they do, make the appointment and get it done there, as the embassy certification is best.

If not, any licensed Indian notary will do, but you must take the added step of getting an apostille, which is a certification that the passports are authentic Indian passports. You get the apostille from the Indian Interior Ministry. There should be an office of the Interior Ministry in Bengaluru.

If going to the U.S> embassy involves extensive travel, the use of the Indian notary and the apostille process may be the better course of action.

If you want to use my servicesas a Certifying Acceptance Agent, contact me at the email address below, or check out my profile to find my email address and webiste links.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 4, 2012, 06:45 AM
    FIRST, you need to get the new passport for your child.

SECOND, make clear COLOR photocopies of the NEW passport picture page.

THIRD, make clear COLOR photocopies of the OLD visa page.

FOURTH, get BOTH sets of photocopies certified by the U.S. embassy/consulate.
    sunilverma Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2012, 12:21 PM
    Question For the Tax Expert:

I had filed taxes "Married filing jointly" but got rejected as the copy was notarized and due to recent rules, they need it certified by Indian embassy.

I went to IRS and they said you will have to go to consulate general of india and get it certified. I called the consulate many times but no response. Should I directly go there or is there any other way I can get it certified?
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 19, 2012, 12:46 PM
    If you CAN go to the consulate, then do so.

Otherwise, check for a different phone numbet. My clients have called successfully, so I suspect your phone number is bad.
    sunilverma Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2012, 01:21 PM
    I was trying this number - (415) 668-0683 Ext:148
    I can go to the consulate.

So I need to take
    1) Passport
    2) W7
    3) Tax Return
    4) ITIN Rejection letter (got it since I had sent notarized copy).

Do I need to take appointment? Will it be done same day.
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 19, 2012, 03:24 PM
    I cannot answer your questions regarding consulate procedures or whether the phone number is accurate.

Take all of the documents you listed, PLUS a clear color photocopy of the passport for them to certify.
    VJ2012 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2012, 02:50 PM
    I couldn't find this information on IRS website, can you please tell me if you know any link on IRS website where I can check this requirement of notarizing passport only in Indian Consulate?
    I have to get ITIN number for my wife who is on H4 visa.
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 5, 2012, 03:25 PM
    The IRS does not specify HOW you can get the passport photocopy certified, they just require that it be done.

I have had a client get tge passport photocopy certified by the Indian consulate in San Francisco this past summer, so I know it is possible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Certified Cashier Check [ 1 Answers ]

Question: What is the difference between a certified cashier check and a regular cashier check? Is there a way to see a photo copy of a certified cashier check without going to the bank? Thank-you. Oppusone

Copy and paste [ 1 Answers ]

I hope someone can show me how to copy and paste a link onto my browser.I right click,it will show copy,select all in the box. What do I do next?:confused:

Copy Movies to CD [ 10 Answers ]

I was wondering, is there a legal way to make copies of movies that I have purchased (in CD form)? I have no intention of selling them, I just want to make copies for my wife and myself. Is there a safe program I can download? Are there any safe programs with wich I can copy movies that I can...

Cashier versus certified check [ 1 Answers ]

A buyer has offered to pay a large purchase by cashier check. What is the difference between cashier and certifiied check. The purchase is a home. Thanks, Connie

Lp copy [ 4 Answers ]

Very very new to computing(middle age tecno fear)and need help .how do I copy all my all LP records onto my computer and then on to cd what hardware software would I need , any help would be great Thanks

View more questions Search