Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bluebkracer15 Posts: 11, Reputation: 0

Dec 14, 2004, 05:35 PM
    Physics question 2
    Hello can any one help me with this question??
    1 An athlete throws the shotput with an initial velocity of 14 m/s at a 40 degree angle from the horizontal. The shotput leaves his hand at a height of 2.2 m above the ground.
    a. Determine the x and y components of the initial velocity.

b. Determine how long the shotput is in the air.

c. Calculate the distance the shotput traveled.

Please help me
    Thanks
    drwls Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Jan 8, 2005, 12:22 AM
    <<1 An athlete throws the shotput with an initial velocity of 14 m/s at a 40 degree angle from the horizontal. The shotput leaves his hand at a height of 2.2 m above the ground.
    a. Determine the x and y components of the initial velocity.>>
    The horizontal component is 14 cos 40 = 10.725 m/s and the vertical component is 14 sin 40 = 8.999 m/s.

<<b. Determine how long the shotput is in the air.>>
    That is determined by the vertical component. The time t1 going up is such that g t = Vyo = 8.999 m/s. That means t1 = 0.92 s. In that time, the height increases to 2.2 m + (Vyo/2) t1 = 6.34 m. It spends a longer time t2 coming down because it was launched above the ground. (1/2) g (t2)^2 = 6.34 m. t2 = sqrt [2 * 6.34/g] = 1.14 s. Total time in air = t1 + t2 = 2.06s

<<c. Calculate the distance the shotput traveled.>>
    Multiply the time in the air by the horizontal velocity component, which does not change. I get 22.09 m.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Physics [ 5 Answers ]

Please explain how a siphon works?

Physics please help now [ 2 Answers ]

What is the average speed, if a person drives for 30.0 min at 80.0 km/h, 12.0 min at 100 km/h, and 45.0 min at 40.0 km.h and spends 15.0 min eating lunch and buying gas? The back of my textbook states that the answer is 52.9, but I don't know how to solve it!!

Gr 11 physics.. Need help again [ 0 Answers ]

An amateur ball player runs at an average speed of 6.0 m/s between home plate and first base and 9.0 m/s between first and second. If the distance between the bases is 27.4 m and the base lines form an angle of 90 degrees, calculate his average velocity. Ans: 5.1 m/s A diver on a...

Physics [ 1 Answers ]

How do I know when to give the correct decimal places or significant figures for my answers?(physics) Thank you! Eric :)

View more questions Search