Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MamoonUlHaq Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2012, 04:12 AM
    Need basic help regrading printers.
    Hi,

I'm currently working on something that you might call a Wireless Facsimile.
    The problem is that I'm an absolute newbie when it comes to printers and I was thinking if you people could help me out.
    I need to learn how printers work and the first thing I need to do is simply print a page. The problem is that wherever I search printer related info, there are simply commands and no straightforward way to send data to a printer specified.

Important: I have to print a page WITHOUT using a computer.
    I plan to interface it later on with a microcontroller and will have to
    Write drivers to make it all work.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2012, 06:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MamoonUlHaq View Post
    Hi,

I'm currently working on something that you might call a Wireless Facsimile.
    The problem is that I'm an absolute newbie when it comes to printers and I was thinking if you people could help me out.
    I need to learn how printers work and the first thing i need to do is simply print a page. The problem is that wherever i search printer related info, there are simply commands and no straightforward way to send data to a printer specified.

Important: I have to print a page WITHOUT using a computer.
    I plan to interface it later on with a microcontroller and will have to
    write drivers to make it all work.
    You need to start with what TYPE of printer... Laser, inkjet, thermal, dot matrix... all work by VERY different principles.
    MamoonUlHaq Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2012, 08:08 AM
    Im using a laser printer.
    I don't have much problem with the interfacing. I intend to use a serial one using a microcontroller.
    Actually, I need to know what I have to give the printer(the commands etc). If u could specify the format of a pcl 5 file, it would be really helpful.
    cmeeks Posts: 754, Reputation: 64

Jun 5, 2012, 01:28 PM
    Laser printers are computers they have processors, Memory and an operating system ad applications that communicate on a network and format the output. With the abundance of services offering fax to email the need for a wireless fax or limited I have shot a photo of a document and emailed it out as a fax from a phone.
    Seems like the faxing problem to solve is a good low cost web based email to Fax service
    To get an image out of a laser printer you will need an OS and applications to run the network and printer as well as some ways of running Post Script to render the page. Hacking the hardware, writing the code to run the machine and manufacturing the unit makes putting a low end PC with a internet connection and fax card next to a HP 4000 series printer a verry cost effective option.
    Ut if it were not for trying man would never have flown let us know what comes out of this and I hope you have greate success and that it works and is succesfull
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 5, 2012, 05:16 PM
    Have you seen this: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/su...0/bpl13210.pdf

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Printers [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Epson Stylus Photo R280 printer, and recently installed new ink cartridges, when I went to print something off it printed every color, red orange yellow and very hard to see what is was I had printed off. Also this printer worked great until I replaced the cartridges.

All in one printers [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am researching printers that use generic ink. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You, Rob9

Printers [ 1 Answers ]

I have a problem installing any printers on my windows xp media centre. It always says access deined. Can anyone help?

Printers [ 1 Answers ]

:(Hello Everyone) Anyone I am having a real rough time trying to figure this one out, Loaded a firmware on my printer, and now it's sending characters we do not understand, we talked to a tech, and he explained to us that the firmware that was loaded had brain washed the printer into believe that...

View more questions Search