Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    itsnewtome Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2012, 08:46 PM
    Engaging the clutch for the deck bogs the engine down, why do you think it does
    Hello, I have a 26 hp craftsman tractor with a 54" deck. When I engage the deck, the engine "bogs" down to the point that it stalls. It sounds as if you are trying to cut too much too fast. This is something that just started. It was cutting just fine until it started doing this. Any ideas?
    By the way, this site gave me the info I needed to figure out why the 26hp INTEK engine would start and run for a short period of time. Thanx Alot, I was going crazy trying to figure it out. Turns out the needle on ythe float was "dirty" enough to stick and flood it. So Thanx Again!!!
    Any way I am still baffled on this new problem. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanx Again in advance . . .
    "Befuddled"
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2012, 06:08 AM
    . Remove and clean, or replace, the air filter.

. Remove and clean the carburetor.

. Adjust the air mixture screw.

. Remove the head and clean all carbon from the head, piston, and valves. Do this every 100 hours of operation. On B&S engines, the head gaskets are reuseable. Torque head bolts to 140 inch-pounds.

. Install a new, properly gapped (.030 inch) spark plug.

. Change the oil, using SAE 10W-30 full synthetic engine oil (e.g. Mobil 1). Change oil every 25 hours of operation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman LT1000 dies when engaging blades or releasing clutch [ 8 Answers ]

Engine runs fine, starts right up, but when I put it in gear, as soon as I release the clutch/brake it kills the engine. It does the same thing if I try and engage the blades. Please don't tell me it's the transmission. Please.

Engine runs when engaging the mower deck it sputters and stops. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Ranch King 20 hp kohloer tractor with a 46 in deck. It is the same tractor as a Craftsman.. identicle. Problem. It starts but when you engage the clutch for the mower deck it sputters and stops running If you put it in drive it sputters and stops running. I have checked the...

Engaging the Attachment Clutch on my Craftsman Mower kills the engine! [ 4 Answers ]

I just got a brand new Craftsman lawn tractor, delivered this morning, already assembled even. I read the manual, more than once, filled the gas, checked the oil, checked the tire pressure, did everything I was directed to do. Started up fine and I let it warm up. But whenever I try to engage...

Deck not engaging [ 1 Answers ]

I am having the same kind of problem (same Mower) and I have tried cleaning the deck, but still no engaging. Would you recommend removing the deck to get to the idler (tensioner) or is there a way to get to it with deck attached? The mower worked fine when I put it up for the winter. Now first...

View more questions Search