Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ronb1308 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2012, 04:36 PM
    Can employer keep part of my tips?
    Employer keeps part of my tips and gives to kitchen staff, sales staff, and office staff. Is this legal?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 3, 2012, 04:38 PM
    Did you sign a contract or agreement that the tips would be split up and shared in some way?

Has this been happening since your first day there? How long have you been there?

Jun 3, 2012, 04:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Did you sign a contract or agreement that the tips would be split up and shared in some way?

Has this been happening since your first day there? How long have you been there?
    Not all of the time, only when restaurant has a large party. No one agreed to any sort of tip pooling.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 3, 2012, 04:47 PM
    Have you talked with your employer about it as to the rationale?

Oh, what is your job? Waitperson?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 3, 2012, 04:50 PM
    As far as I know its not uncommon for a restaurant to pool tips when it hosts a large party. As long as the employer is consistent with his application of this policy, I would suspect it would pass legal muster.

Jun 3, 2012, 04:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    As far as I know its not uncommon for a restaurant to pool tips when it hosts a large party. As long as the employer is consistent with his application of this policy, I would suspect it would pass legal muster.
    The management is keeping part of the tip for themselves and giving part to nontipped employees
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 3, 2012, 05:08 PM
    If you don't like the practice consult a labor law attorney. But be prepared to lose your job.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 3, 2012, 07:07 PM
    Is this a "tip" that is added to the bill, or a actual tip left on the table, ( or both)

Most of the larger parties I have done to, the tip is a fee added to my bill ( something I hate and often fight if I have poor service)

But for those in the business tell me that that tip is often split among various workers.

It should not be keep by business but given to the workers.

The issue is, you may fight it, but expect to be unemployed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can an previous employer stop you from working within so many miles of a new employer [ 8 Answers ]

My contract from my previous employer states that I cannot work for a new employer within Five miles and one year. I am a Veternian applying for a job less than five miles from My previous employer. (Its about 3 1/2 miles)About 2 months times has passed.

My ex employer is not paying part of salary which they owes me [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I joined NJ base consulting company and they offered an x amount as aannual salary. They placed me in another state. The didn't give full month salary but was giving part of it. When enquired about it they said they would give me after an year or when there is an account settlement. This...

Lightening dyed hair tips (tips are almost black) [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have medium auburn hair naturally. I dyed my hair a dark auburn but there is a section of my hair where the tips (two inches from root to tip) is almost black. I want to lighten these tips. Would using Peroxide Volume 20 mixed with shampoo do this?

Forms an Employer Should Provide Part Time Employee [ 3 Answers ]

I just started working for a real estate agent and I wanted to know what kind of form he should provide me with so that I'm able to file my taxes when it comes around to doing them? I work part time (25 hrs/wk) and I don't work for the company, only him. Does he have to provide me with some kind of...

View more questions Search