Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    electricfy Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2012, 03:06 AM
    What size of cable do I need to install a 60amp pony panel?
    I have a 100amp service, but my walls and ceilings are finished where the panel is located so I can't add anymore to it, so I'm thinking about upgrading to a 200amp. Service, and I'm wondering would it be cheaper for me to relocate the new service to an unfinish area or would it be cheaper to install it in the existing spot and put in a sub panel? Please Help!
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jun 3, 2012, 05:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by electricfy View Post
    I have a 100amp service, but my walls and ceilings are finished where the panel is located so i can't add anymore to it, so i'm thinking about upgrading to a 200amp. service, and i'm wondering would it be cheaper for me to relocate the new service to an unfinish area or would it be cheaper to install it in the existing spot and put in a sub panel?? Please Help!
    Well if you upgrade to a 200 Amp main panelboard you will have plenty of room in the new panelboard to add additional circuits, which means you will not need a second panelboard.

As to relocating the service entry point, the service entry point is determined by the local Power company. The NEC, governs From the entry point forward.

It is required by the NEC that either a main disconnect switch or the main panelboard be as close to the entry point as possible.

That means that you first have to contact the power company to see if they are willing to move the meter and all the cable going to it to a different point on your residence.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cable size and length if the KVA rating of AMF Panel is known [ 2 Answers ]

Dear Sir, I am basically Electrical Engineer working as Trainee in a firm related to Diesel Generators and AMF Panel. I want to learn to calculate the cable size and length if the KVA rating of AMF Panel is known. Say we have AMF PANEL of 10KVA 3PH. And the Panel Size is (H)850mm X (L)550mm...

Cable size and length calculation for AMF Panel [ 3 Answers ]

Dear Sir, I am basically Electrical Engineer working as Trainee in a firm related to Diesel Generators and AMF Panel. I want to learn to calculate the cable size and length if the KVA rating of AMF Panel is used. Say we have AMF PANEL of 10KVA 3PH. And the Panel Size is (H)850mm X (L)550mm...

60amp apartment electrical panel [ 1 Answers ]

What is the minimum size for an electrical panel for an apartment dwelling in ontario, canada?

View more questions Search