Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1rdsknfn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2012, 08:56 PM
    What does it mean to have legal custody?
    My wife and I are separating. She wants sole legal custody of our 6 month old. But she will give me visitation of about 50%. And I'm not sure what phsical custody is really either
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 3, 2012, 04:01 AM
    Leagal = The right to make decisions for your child and to sign papers accordingly. School and medical decisions are most common.

Physical custody = Is where the child actually is. So 50% would mean she is with you 1/2 the time.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 3, 2012, 06:37 AM
    "Sole physical custody with father to have visitation 1/2 of the time" is actually an oxymoron. "Custody" and "visititation" are a matter of degree. If you have "visitation" for 1 minute, you actually have custody during that minute. However when a parent has short periods with the child, it is usually referred to as "visitation" instead. But really it means the same thing.

So if you agree that the child will be with each of you 50% of the time, you would be agreeing to shared physical custody on that basis. It's best that you agree to a specific custody schedule, and get that agreement ratified by the court in a separation or divorce decree.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 3, 2012, 08:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    "Custody" and "visititation" are a matter of degree. If you have "visitation" for 1 minute, you actually have custody during that minute. However when a parent has short periods of time with the child, it is usually referred to as "visitation" instead. But really it means the same thing.
    That is pretty close but off by a little. Many states when calculating child support use custody in the formula. Many states define that as overnight and not just visitation.

Visitation can be periods without an overnight stay. Each state has their own way of differentiating it. In California for example. If the father picked up the child in the morning and brings them back in jammies to moms house to sleep the mom for "custody" purposes would have the children 100% and the father 0%. Its an odd situation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a biomother ask for custody after ten years when legal custody is with PGM? [ 1 Answers ]

Mother children were removed from county agency.

Sole legal custody and primary physical custody? [ 9 Answers ]

My daughter has sole legal custody and primary physical custody of her son in the state of Az. And that is exactly how it is stated in the divorce decree. Does she need permission from the father to travel out of the country on vacation or does she just need to tell him?

In joint legal custody does can one parent get primary physical custody? [ 1 Answers ]

My child's father is in military and in order to get housing needs to show he will have baby for 50% of yr... in order to do so he needs custody but I'm not trying to give up my legal rights as her mother... what can we do?

Primary physical custody and joint legal custody [ 2 Answers ]

My son and his wife are divorced now, they have joint legal custody mother has primary physical custody because my son is in the military and he was told that she had to have primary physical custody in order to enroll the child in school. However she doesn't have my son listed as a contact person...

View more questions Search