Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 2, 2012, 08:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Seriously? You do realize that this could be dangerous.
    C'mon, J. It was a lighthearted remark in line with how the thread was working out. I'll be sure to add a ;) next time.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 2, 2012, 08:10 PM
    Connellyjyc, please follow your doctor's orders. They are doctors for a reason. They have spent thousands, even hundreds of thousands for their medical training.

As a nurse, I have to agree with the primary diagnosis. And I DO have the medical training to back it up.
    Connellyjlc Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2012, 08:13 PM
    Im going to head to bed, the rash has not slowed the little guy down, but late nights of research has slowed me down. I have been looking at pictures of rashes and everything I can online to try and find something that fits this. I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions and will be going in Monday with lots of questions and ideas to hopefully stear the doc into the right tests and hope to find an answer to this rash so my little guy can play with friends and get back to school. The mister was a great idea. Again I never even thought of it and probably would not have without your help. Thanks again I really appreciate your help with this.
    Expert

Jun 2, 2012, 08:13 PM
    Remember that the internet can be your enemy just as it can be your friend.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 2, 2012, 08:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Seriously? You do realize that this could be dangerous.

I have read the entire thread and it does indeed sound like hand foot and mouth (disease). Disease is a misnomer as it is actually a virus and will go away on it's own.
    J, I'm sure WG was kidding. The only shingle I could hang out is one I built. I can say it would be pretty, but not valid. ;)

I have to say though, I could be the OP's doctor. I could say "I don't know what it is, just give him benadryl" for $250 a visit with the greatest of ease. It's a no brainer, and that's what has me offering suggestions on this thread. The doctors didn't do their job, they didn't even try to.

If it is hand foot and mouth disease, a throat swab should at least have been done, at least to rule out other bacterial infections. But nothing. Just a look at the rash and "I don't know what it is, if it gets worse bring him back".
    Expert

Jun 2, 2012, 08:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    The doctors didn't do their job, they didn't even try to.
    I disagree. Remember, we PRACTICE medicine. There are many things that are obscure that we don't see on a daily basis. "I don't know" is more common than you think it is. It's better to treat the symptoms rather than do nothing at all if you aren't sure.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 2, 2012, 08:19 PM
    It didn't even sound like the doctor asked questions--not like we did here in fairly short order.

Jun 2, 2012, 08:20 PM
    J I appreciate your post and I am following doctors orders. I also understand that wondergirl was joking with her post. I am not looking for diagnosis and do realize that they are not my sons doctor and that I also will be taking him back to see his doctor on Monday. Doctors do not always get a diagnosis right. As with my sons previous condition. Alty I'm glad we could help each other. I have read quite a few posts on here and am shocked by what people post. Especially looking for answers here first instead of going to a doctor. The am a pregnant ones really are ridiculous. There are over the counter tests for that. I completely understand why you would be a bit jaded. It seems like most people do come on here for a diagnosis when they should be going to a doctor. Seems like there are not many that are on here for the right reasons, to work with their doctor to come up with the answer. Again thanks and I realize that everything said on here is for informational purposes not a diagnosis.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 2, 2012, 08:24 PM
    The main lesson here is to be your very own best advocate. Ask questions and don't let the doctor slide out the door after a superficial visit.

Jun 2, 2012, 08:29 PM
    I agree! It is also good for a patient to know the right questions to ask the doctor. I was not aware of tests for chicken pox or they could test for hand foot and mouth. Since the doctor suggested these he should have tested for them instead of sending us away with benadryl. I will follow doctors orders and keep him on benadryl and home until I see him again Monday to get some answers. It is also helpful to have come up with the mister, and bring that to his attention. This was in no way meant to diagnose my son but to come up with ideas to talk to doctor about so we can get a correct diagnoses and treatment. Thanks again I will let you know what the doctor finds out
    Expert

Jun 2, 2012, 08:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Connellyjlc View Post
    J i appreciate your post and I am following doctors orders. I also understand that wondergirl was joking with her post. I am not looking for diagnosis and do realize that they are not my sons doctor and that i also will be taking him back to see his doctor on monday. Doctors do not always get a diagnosis right. As with my sons previous condition. Alty im glad we could help each other. I have read quite a few posts on here and am shocked by what people post. Especially looking for answers here first instead of going to a doctor. The am a preg ones really are ridiculous. There are over the counter tests for that. I completely understand why you would be a bit jaded. It seems like most people do come on here for a diagnosis when they should be going to a doctor. Seems like there are not many that are on here for the right reasons, to work with their doctor to come up with the answer. Again thanks and I realize that everything said on here is for informational purposes not a diagnosis.

I'm glad that you understand that WG was joking, but I deal with all different levels of education. What a girl that has only finished 7th or 8th grade will take advice differently than someone with a high school diploma or a college degree.

Many people come here actually expecting a diagnosis. What WG said about her and Alty could be taken serious by some posters. That opens us up to the litigious nature of medicine.

I am happy to know that you seem to be the educated parent who is trying to look out for the best interests of your child, however, we must be cautious when we answer these questions. Look at the name of the site... Ask Me Help Desk... Live Answers from REAL Experts. Some people take what we say as gospel. In the medical field this could be VERY dangerous. Best said, if you don't know for sure... DON'T answer!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My son has had a rash on his forehead for over a year. [ 0 Answers ]

My son has had a rash on his forehead for over a year. His own doctor took a punch biopsy a year ago and said it came back as a fungal infection. I waited over a year to get in to see a dermatologist today and she said it wasn't a fungal infection at all but that the original biopsy came back as...

Severe rash n five year ld [ 5 Answers ]

Need advise my children have always been very healthy and now all of the sudden my five year old son had a rash this was three weeks ago and started as small pimple ike bumps on his feet and legs. After seeing our pcp he was diagnosed with scabies and prescribed permethrin cream 5%. Three days...

Rash on 2 and half year old boy [ 3 Answers ]

This morning my son woke up with a rash on his body. The rash is red, mainly on his stomach and back area and upper inner legs. Nothing on his face. It looks like big birth marks. What can it be?

Rash [ 2 Answers ]

My son has a these large red bumps that look like a boil on his arms and one is on his chest... he had a tattoo done a week ago and they had to shave his arm.. now its all broken out and oozing does anyone know what that could be...

View more questions Search