Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BriarGlover Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2012, 02:30 PM
    Pregnancy & hip arthritis
    Hello, I'm 18years old & 26 weeks pregnant, I have had arthritis of my wrists, hands, knees, and ankles for over a year now, but recently I have developed it in my hips ( I think this is too do with my pregnancy) but it is very severe can hardly walk or sit or sleep because of the pain, I was on controlled medications before I was pregnant but since I've been pregnant I've had too stop them and only been aloud a low short dose of steroids which isn't helping at all :( My midwife said it would probably be the best if I have a c-section which I agree, as I would rather too save my hips the pain afterwards.. I have an appointment at the end of this month too discuss with the hospital, do you think they will agree with me having a c-section with it being my first child? Or will they try me naturally? I hope not! Please replyy :-) thanks!
    emmajr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2012, 06:49 AM
    Hi there,

I have arthritis in my left hip and had a c-section with my first, however that was ultimately due to her bring breech which was a blessing in disguise really as I struggled a lot as the pregnancy went on. I am now 36 weeks pregnant with my 2nd and my hip and back are even worse this time. I also have bad gestational diabetes (which I also had with my 1st). I am booked in for another c-section but it has been a bit of a battle. Like you, my midwife has been supportive of this decision but I've had to fight my corner elsewhere. I saw a consultant midwife who has more sway than my regular midwife on the decision making and she agreed to the c and booked it. She was lovely and very understanding but still said their preferance would be natural birth. I feel that, as you've commented on, there's not always the thought of the suffering afterwards. My advice is just to be strong with what you want and keep pushing if it's not 'advised'. You could get your orthopaedic Dr involved too? My husband was excellent at the appointments and explaining the effects of my hip too, so go with someone. If you feel you are not being listened to, ask your midwife who you could talk to instead who could have some sway. Really hope it all works out. I know what a worry it can be. I'm still panicing I'm not going to make it to my booking and I'll be forced to try a natural birth! Good luck and take care xo
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 30, 2012, 07:31 AM
    Your doctor will review your medical file and medical history if they do not already know it.
    If there is a medical reason, then yes
    PurpleMonkey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2012, 09:58 AM
    I know it's kind of late, but you said you were 26 weeks so that makes you due pretty much next week... I have arthritis in my right hip. I had a scope in '09, but it's so severe I have problems walking when I am NOT pregnant. When I got pregnant last June, I told my OB right away that I had hip and back issues, and he worked with my physiatrist on a plan of action. We went through the weeks like I would have a vaginal birth, but then revisited our decision around week 35. While in the office, he asked me to hold my legs in the position that I would be pushing in, then timed it. After that, we planned a c-section (unfortunately it was for February 29, but I took what I could get). Best thing I ever did. My hip is now shot just from the pregnancy, and the physiatrist said there was a good possibility that I would have injured my hip further. I strongly suggest a planned c-section if your arthritis is as bad as mine.

If you DID already have your baby, please tell me how it went. I am curious to see what other people in my situation ultimately ended up doing! Best of luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

RA Arthritis [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I was just wondering if there is anyone out there that would know about a cure or something that could help my mother. She has RA arthritis and has been battling it for a few years now. Well now she is really bad and the pills prescribed by the doctor and treatments and her being a guinie pig...

Hip arthritis and pregnancy [ 3 Answers ]

So here is the deal. I recently found out that I was pregnant; yet again! Anyway, just the week prior I had multiple x-rays, popped multiple pain pills as I have been in awful pain and not able to walk, sleep or sit because of the pain. The morning I was scheduled to have my bone scan, my...

Arthritis [ 3 Answers ]

I've had Arthritis for many years, A few years ago I started taking Bextra and it was awesome, I felt like a kid again. Well they've taken it off the market, and I'm aching again. I am taking Glucosamine/Condroiten & Fishoil. It helps a little. Do you know of anything that will help with this 24/7...

Arthritis [ 3 Answers ]

Deos fish oil i.e. cod liver oil help to relieve arthritis

View more questions Search