Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Heat132W Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 01:37 PM
    Fighting cats!
    I have an 11 year old female cat that has been fixed and a 4 year old male cat that has also been fixed. So they have lived together since my male cat was a baby. They got along very well, giving each other baths and sleeping together. About a couple of weeks ago my male cat started to attack my female cat. Every time they see each other they start meowing loudly like they are dying. My female cat now isolates herself upstairs and we have to physically bring her downstairs and shut her in alone with the cat food and litter box. We can't keep doing this everyday. I do not know what to do can someone please help me?
    Lord_Darkclaw Posts: 295, Reputation: 38

Feb 26, 2007, 01:42 PM
    Make sure they have separate areas to live in, you may have to put a litter-tray upstairs for a while until they settle down.

Perhaps there are more cats in the area and territory is getting scarce - your cats may be fighting each other for what's left.

Feb 26, 2007, 02:39 PM
    Thank you! I just don't know what to do! Lately I noticed our male cat keep looking outside because there are a couple that rome around out there and there are times when we go outside we can tell one of the strays of sprayed. I wish they would get out of this mode because it is really becoming a problem.

Thanks
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Feb 26, 2007, 02:49 PM
    There is a strange phenomena called transfer aggression. The male cat looks outside, becomes frustrated about those cats out there he can't do anything about and when your female cat shows up, he nails her -grrr! LOL

It's a lot like the spouse that dumps on their honey coming in the door after a hard day at the office.

I would try to run the stray cats off, or close off their view of that. And separate them meanwhile, of course. And perhaps play with the male cat more often to help burn off those hopped-up feelings in a more constructive manner.

Feb 27, 2007, 08:08 AM
    This morning I took my 11 year old femal cat downstairs to the food and box and when I got back down there to leave the 4 year old male cat is at the door wanting in there. When I let the female cat out they sit about a foot away from each other and stair at each other and the female cat just hisses and the male cat meows. The only time it seems that the male cat attacks is when the female cat is not looking. If they are hungry enough they will eat together but it only last for about 3 minutes until they start getting into a meowing fight and they both back off and the male will go into a corner and look the other way. My female cat is scared, I can tell. This morning I did put another litter box and food upstairs in the bathroom but what is going to stop my male cat from going up there? My male cat has been looking out the windows since he was a baby so why all of a sudden would he be territorial? What is going on?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fighting Divorce [ 5 Answers ]

If you don't want a divorce can you just not sign papers? What happens? I just wonder if you can say that you are not giving them a divorce.

Boxers have started fighting [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone, We own 2 boxers, a six year old female and a two year old male, both have been spayed/neutered. About two weeks ago, they got into a fight, the male initiated the fight, resulting in the female having scratches on her nose. The next day, the female went after the male, but it...

My kitties are fighting, what do I do?:( [ 2 Answers ]

I have two cats named sweetpea and azalea, and about two years ago I adopted another kitten. His name was guy. Sweetpea adored the new kitten. But azalea was not pleased and stayed away. Guy got bigger and when he got to be about azalea's size she would swat at him whenever he got near. Now...

Fighting cravings [ 7 Answers ]

I'm just wondering how you fight the cravings. I am trying to stay healthy, maybe lose a little weight but I am having a terrible time trying to fight these cravings. Any ideas? Any advice? AnyTHING? Please... I'm getting desperate! :eek:

Help with fighting kittens [ 2 Answers ]

I have 3 kittens, 2 females and 1 male. They are all 3 months old and from the same litter. The male was sick for 2 weeks and was not allowed to be near the females. Today the vet gave me the go ahead to put them all together again. I was expecting a happy reunion, but that's not what happened! 1...

View more questions Search