Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fesdds Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2012, 06:58 PM
    Do I need to turn power off at main to replace a ground rod clamp?
    I need to replace a ground rod clamp that is visible above ground. Do I need to turn main power off at panel to unscrew and place new clamp? Or do I need to have our electrical service provider cut power to our meter even? Thanks in advance.

M
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2012, 04:04 AM
    To be safe, disconnecting an grounding electrode conductor should always be done with power off, as there may be fault currents existing, and if you become part of the circuit with wire in one hand while touching the ground rod, you may feel this current.

You should just be able to shut off your Main Breaker to be safe. However, there has been times, with the main off, there are fault currents flowing in a ground wire that comes from the utility supply. An electrician would have a amp meter to check the wire for current to be sure disconnecting a ground wire is safe.

I am sure you do not own an amp meter. Calling the utility to shut off power seems a bit drastic just for a simple job of changing a ground rod clamp. To be safe, shut off your Main, and still use voltage rated gloves to handle the ground wire.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does power to bldg need to be off to replace a ground rod clamp [ 1 Answers ]

I have to change a groung clamp and wanted to know if the main needs to be off,if the power company has to turn off power or it can just be replaced with power on.

Why would the ground wire from my main panel to grounding rod have juice on it [ 1 Answers ]

My ground wire for my cable is connected to ground wire coming from my breaker box when the tech tried to disconnect it it sparked and they would not reconnect. I checked ground wire with voltage and found some voltage present.

No ground rod at main breaker. [ 10 Answers ]

I have been reading threads here but want to be sure I understand since electricity is potentially so dangerous. I have an old house. My main breaker box below the meter has two large hot legs and an uninsulated neutral. There is no ground terminal. There is no ground rod. I'm sure something is...

View more questions Search