Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maria vasco Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2012, 06:29 PM
    Who should smog the car buyer or seller
    I bought a car from a closed relative.I took the pink slip to dmv and claim that I bought the car worth of 2300.in return dmv told me to do a smog test.when I did it was failed. So I went to the mechanic and get it fixed and passed the smog test.I paid all the cost from my pocket.my question is whose suppose to pay for the smog or who needs to do it.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2012, 06:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by maria vasco View Post
    i bought a car from a closed relative.i took the pink slip to dmv and claim that i bought the car worth of 2300.in return dmv told me to do a smog test.when i did it was failed. so i went to the mechanic and get it fixed and passed the smog test.i paid all the cost from my pocket.my question is whose suppose to pay for the smog or who needs to do it.
    In 99% of the cases it's the buyer, once you own the car... then 100% of the time its you the owner. And many places do it every two years. Who needs is is who the state says needs it.

The only case I know of where the seller does it... is MD (if you don't sign a waver) and then that's only the initial one.. YOU pay for every one that follows... and they might have changed that since I lived there. SInce you called it the DMV... its clear you don't live there. MD calls it the MVA.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who's responsible for smog check, seller or buyer in CA [ 3 Answers ]

My parents bought a 2003 Kia Sedona from a private party about 2 weeks ago, not aware they were to get a smog certificate with the title to be able to register the vehicle. They are having problems getting it smogged for registration. The repairs that need to be done will run approximately $1500. ...

Is the buyer or seller responsible for smog checks Nevada [ 1 Answers ]

I sold a vehicle to my nephew and in Carson city there is no smog check, however, he lives in Reno and there is a smog check of which both of us didn't realize. Who is responsible to fix the car if the car does not pass inspection and needs to be fixed? Also, can he just take the car to the...

Journalizing Buyer and Seller [ 1 Answers ]

Based on the information below, journalize the entries for seller and buyer. Both use perpetual inventory system: A) Seller sells Buyer on account merchadise costing $245 for $645, terms 2/10, net 30, FOB destination. The freight charge is $45. B) Buyers returns as defective $145 worth of...

Smog requirements from seller to buyer [ 2 Answers ]

In July 2009 I purchased a 2001 mazda from a pastor. He said the auto was in good condition, he also said he had the head gaskets repaired. I asked for the paper work and he said there was none, as it was done by a friend of a friend. Considering he was a minister, I said OK. Big huge mistake. 2...

Private party used car seller, responsible for smog? [ 1 Answers ]

Am I responsible for the smog on a private party used car sell? I let them know up front it needs a tune up.. and that smog wasn't due until October. Aren't private party used car sells.. as is? Im in California.

View more questions Search