Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dieinggirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2012, 05:56 PM
    Emancipated at 15 in MN
    Im a female and will be 15 in nine days and I can't take my life with ny emotionally unstable mother any more... I need out!. I want to know how I can get out? I can't live with her anymore. For as long as I can remember starting from when I was first born she has never been emotionally all there she will lock herself in her room for days on end or in the bathroom and just cry and when she's not crying she's screaming at me everything I do is wrong to her I can't do anything right. The fighting has gotten so bad I've begun to turn to substances to stop the pain of thinking I'm worthless I've tried suicide before and I'm afraid I'm going to try it again if I don't get out I've also begun to turn to sex to get the love from other people that I don't get at home and beer have my mom has tried suicide 5 times in my life and I remember every time crying I can't take this anymore my home life is effecting my relationships with other people and my grades I don't know what to do I have no where else to turn my father is in prison and always has been my entire life so going to him is not an option... please I need help? I've tried living with my aunt and that didn't even help I need info on how to get Emancipated in mn it's the only thing I can come up with.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 1, 2012, 06:02 PM
    You will need a full-time job that can support you totally, buy your food, pay for a decent place to live, pay for your car and auto insurance, etc. plus you will want to finish high school. Will you be able to manage all that and report it to a judge in court?

Here is info on MN emancipation --

http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/hrd/pubs/youthlaw.pdf
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Jun 1, 2012, 06:03 PM
    If you are doing drugs and sex you certainly don't need to be on your own, and you're not old enough. What was wrong with living with your aunt? When you attempted suicide did you do any counseling afterward?
    Have you spoken with counselors at your school about what's going on at home?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 1, 2012, 06:17 PM
    First, Minnesota has no laws providing for emancipation: Minnesota State Law Library: Legal Topics: Emancipation of Minors
    Second, states where emancipation is allowed, the minimum age is 16. Even if MN did allow emancipation, you would have to show you can function on your own. Given the admissions you made about using drugs, alcohol and sex, no court is going to believe you can care for yourself.

I'm sorry if you find this harsh, but those are the facts. And you need to face facts and deal with them. You already seem to understand that most of this is your mother's problem not yours. And you have to keep thinking that way. I see some self-esteem in you that is trying to get out. Let it out. From what you said, you have dealt with your mother's instability a long time. And you have managed to survive. You seem to understand that you are trying to compensate for the things lacking in your home life and that is it wrong to do so. All these are signs of a strong will that can help you survive. But you need help.

Talk to a counselor at school, maybe a clergyperson. You need a professional to help you. Maybe get you placed in a Foster Home.

Good Luck and keep us posted.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 1, 2012, 08:13 PM
    Turn her over to CPS and see if they will get envolved

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What does it take to be emancipated [ 2 Answers ]

I am 15, turning 16 in a few weeks. I haven't ever had a great relationship with my parents. My parent and I have never been able to meet in the middle. It's my word against theirs. My mom doesn't cook for me. She has for the past year. The only time she cooks is when my sister comes to visit. That...

I need to get emancipated! [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I am 15 years old, I will be 16 here in may of 2009. I currently am not living at home I am staying at my boyfriends or at my brothers. I have major problems at home my parents are alcholics and do nothing but get drunk and beat me or try and fight me, objects are thrown. Reason I need to get...

How to become emancipated [ 10 Answers ]

I am not sure if I am in the right place but here gos. A friend of mine has a 17yr old child living with her. This child who we will call lori was put out by her mother over 6 months ago. Is it possible for her to become emancipated on those grounds alone. Lori's mother refuses to let her sign...

I'm 16, and want emancipated. [ 9 Answers ]

I'm sure you see millions of these everyday. But hear me out, I'm 16 soon to be 17 in October. I have a steady job since February and know my weekly amount to expect on my checks. I want to be emancipated, for the simple fact living at home isn't easy. My parents have been divorced since I was 14....

Should I get emancipated? [ 11 Answers ]

I'm 15 and I want to be emancipated but I really have no way to do it cause my mom is to nosy. I have friends that would help me but they live right around the conner from my mom. The reason I want to get emancipated I cause my mom just got custody of me two years ago and it seems the only reason...

View more questions Search