Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SkipW Posts: 55, Reputation: 2

Jun 1, 2012, 05:20 PM
    Just ignorance here regarding how a home network works...
    With a home network with a router and several "client" PC's when one
    PC communicates with another PC does that get repeated through
    The router? Or does it go Pc to Pc directly?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2012, 05:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipW View Post
    With a home network with a router and several "client" PC's when one
    pc communicates with another pc does that get repeated through
    the router? Or does it go Pc to Pc directly?
    Think of the Router as the guy in a busy Train yard that decides what trains go on what tracks as they are passing through, and which ones to stop.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 1, 2012, 06:00 PM
    Actually, a router is 2 (sometimes 3) devices in one. The router part communicates between the home network and the Internet. The second part is a switch. It is the switch that handles traffic among the devices on the local network. As data packets come into the switch, their address is read and sent to the correct device. The third is a wireless access point IF the router has wireless capability.
    SkipW Posts: 55, Reputation: 2

Jun 3, 2012, 05:36 PM
    Thanks to both you folks! Now that I know for sure how it works I can now
    Go back to puzzling over another one of my frustrations which is why one
    Of my PC's audio some tiimes goes in and out of sync while watching a
    Netflix show!

Thanks, again... Skip

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to control network traffic over a shared internet connection in a home network [ 4 Answers ]

I have just setup a LAN at home with the following specifications: A wireless router (linksys wrt120n) connected by an ethernet cable to a desktop server. Desktop server running Windows Server 2008 R2, no antivirus or third party firewall installed yet. Clients on this network are...

Network Connection No Longer Works After Power Outage [ 13 Answers ]

During a large storm, the power went out and when I turned the power back on, the PC would no longer recognize the network connection. I then plugged the network connection into my laptop and the connection works fine. On the PC, other than the internet connection not working, everything else...

Home Network [ 4 Answers ]

How do you setup a home network. I have a Linksys router, PC is "XP" amd 1 is "ME". I have used the wizard etc and cannot see the "ME" PC. I can see the "XP"

Home Network Problems [ 8 Answers ]

I am trying to setup a Home network with two XP computers. The system keeps telling me that my cable is unplugged yet after hrs of trouble shooting I can not find the problem. Everything I checked on the Eithernet card show both working properly. I even took one of the cards out and replaced...

View more questions Search