Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    michelle72 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2012, 12:52 PM
    How to get my son's real father on the birth certificate?
    My ex husband is on my sons birth cerft, he is not his real father. He has nothing to do with him or his blood children, now my sons real father wants to be on the cert... how do I do this? My son is nearly 9 an all for it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 1, 2012, 01:25 PM
    Your husband (ex) is the legal father, and where you live will make a big differences, In some places if the father listed on the birth cerficate is not challenged within a number of years, you can't, so it may be possible it can not be changed. In other places he will need to challenge the paternity and ask for visitation and ask for a DNA test. I am surprised the ex did not object when you started to garnish him pay or start making him pay child support.

Also of course there is a issue of "fraud" that occurred when you and he signed the birth certificate if you both knew at the time, he was not the real father.

Also how do you know this other guy is really the father?
    michelle72 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2012, 02:08 PM
    Mmmm your very rude... I do know whom the father of my child is thank you!!
    We split up and then I started seeing someone else, that ended. Eventually we got bck together, he knew baby wasn't his but he wanted to take him as his own, hardly a fraud. He has never paid child support for him, he had to be forced to pay for his own children, whom he hasn't seen for nearly 4years. My son knows the truth. We live in scotland. My sons real dad would like him to have his name which my son said yes to
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 1, 2012, 03:46 PM
    How was Chuck rude? You came here and asked a question. He gave of his time and knowledge to answer you and asked for more info to help you. I don't see anything that was rude at all.

Your best bet is to contact a local solicitor who will know what the laws are to govern your situation.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 1, 2012, 03:58 PM
    If you want someone to hold you hand and pat it, go cry on the relationship board. This is the legal board, you get plain simple facts. Not nice, just legal advice.

Next if you had the wrong person sign, how should we know that you knew who the father was if you do not tell us, it sounded like either may have or could have been by the way you wrote it.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 2, 2012, 06:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by michelle72 View Post
    ... my sons real dad would like him to have his name which my son said yes to
    Then look into a change of name. As I recall, this can be done quite easily in the U.K. Probably a lot cheaper and easier than changing a BC for a child of that age.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Jun 3, 2012, 11:10 AM
    The real father must file in Court for Paternity determination and Parental responsibility/ Contact order. If he is proven to be the BF then BC will be re-registered immediately. There is almost no marital presumption in the UK.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to get my name on son's birth certificate? [ 4 Answers ]

How do I get my name added to my sons birth cert? I am his natural father and have a contact order in place which allows to spend time with him, have parental responshipibility pursued by myself through courts amd pay child support for him have had dna to establish that I am his father I have had...

Removing non-biological father from my son's birth certificate [ 4 Answers ]

I was with the guy that I thought was my son's father, when my son was born he signed the birth certificate in 2008. We got a DNA test done a month ago and he was proven not to be my son's father. Now I need help removing his name and changing my son's last name. Everybody that I have talked to,...

My son's father passed away I want to get his name on the birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

My son's father passed away while I was pregnant. He acknoledged that he was the father and we were engaged to be married when he was in a car accident. His whole family knows that he is my son's father and love our son so much. But when I signed the birth certificate at the hospital they said that...

View more questions Search