Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    condomess Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 11:51 AM
    PVC to Copper Pipes?
    Hi,

I just purchased a newly constructed condo, and it is a construction mess.

One of the problems is that the whirlpool tub leaks heavy. The building is sittuated above a subterrainian gargae and the plumbing is visible in the ceiling of the garage. I am able to see the water from my tub, leak onto the floor of the garage.

The pipes below the tub are PVC, and based upon the LOUD rushing water sound in the walls whenever anyone flushes the toilet, I am guessing that the pipes in the walls are also PVC. The pipes that are visible in the garage however, are copper.

Is it normal to run PVC pipes in the walls, and terminate the PVC into copper piping where it is visible in the garage?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 26, 2007, 12:04 PM
    This is your second posting regarding the nightmare condo. Didn't you do a home inspection before purchasing the condo? A professional home inspector could have answered many of your questions and maybe helped you make an educated decision. If you have a HOA you should contact them regarding repairs, nothing should be allowed to leak. If you purchase was very recent you may still have recource with the seller.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2007, 04:12 PM
    Copper and cast iron are commonly used in parking garages below living spaces to meet fire code regulations in multi unit buildings, so no, there is nothing unusual in this.

As for the leak, the proper transition from plastic to copper is a CK 115 Mission or Fernco band, and it's possible the plumber neglected to tighten the band tightly -- Or he may not have tightened a slip joint nut on the waste and overflow tightly enough.
    condomess Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2007, 09:10 AM
    Thank You for Your Help!! :)

Yes, I did have a home inspector, but the things that have been going wrong are not the type of things that are readily apparent through a home inspection.

For example, the issue with connections from the HVAC pump were not an issue, because we did not even know that the HVAC needed a pump, until we found out that the drain lines had no slope.

Thanks Again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Copper pipes to cpvc: still ground the old copper? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there... again... I have two copper stub outs that come into my garage, one the cold water in, which goes to my waterheater, and one hot water out, to the rest of the house, underground (slab construction). I will be re-plumbing my water heater and adding a bathroom from these lines, but I...

Copper v PVC [ 3 Answers ]

I'm in the process of building a home and the builder suggested we use PVC in stead of copper pipe. I understand there is a significant cost difference due to rising copper prices. The savings would be great, but I also don't want to sacrifice quality. I am interested to learn the pros and...

PVC to old copper drain [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know the best way to transition a 2" ABS pipe to a 1.5" copper drain pipe. The 2" drain will be attached to a shower drain. An image of the current drain system is attached. Originally, I was planning to use the copper to ABS adapter sold at HD. Would there be any issue...

Copper to PVC [ 2 Answers ]

My house has all copper pipes. However, I noticed that from the street main before the house there is a tee that connects copper to PVC. The PVC branch is connected to my sprinklers and nothing else. I am worried that the PVC wasn't meant to be under constant water pressure from the main and...

Copper to PVC [ 1 Answers ]

HI (Ken) (!st time user) I am replacing the Main copper on/off valve. How do I connect a one inch copper outside main water pipe to a one inch PVC pipe, (which is connected to meter side) ? Additional info have 6 inches of copper and 6 inches of PVC above ground. I do not want...

View more questions Search