Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Guedenet1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2012, 02:33 PM
    Circuit with no power
    I have a circuit in my house that has no power. This is a 20 year old house. Suddenly, there was no power to the outlets and lights in the master bedroom. An electrician came out and says that I have a break in my neutral/white wire somewhere between the breaker and the outlet. I understand that, but he also says that the main hot/black wire reads 3 ohms without power and needs to be replaced. I am having trouble understanding the black wire issue. Could the break in the white wire be causing the black wire issue. He is scheduled to come back and start opening walls.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 31, 2012, 02:51 PM
    3 ohms resistance is a lot in a short run. Standard is about 2 ohms in 1000 ft. Could be a partially broken wire or corroded wires in an outlet.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 31, 2012, 03:21 PM
    First determine which outlets and light work and which don't. Then turn of breaker to that circuit.

Again determine which outlets and light work and which ones don't. You should now know which outlets and lights are on that circuit and which one work and which ones don't.

Check wiring connections at each outlet and switch. If the "Quick Connect" holes in the back of the outlets were used to wire the outlets and switches, change the wires to the screws. The "Quick Connect" are notorious for developing bad connections after a period.

The bad connection can be at the last working outlet or at the first non-working outlet. Bad connection can be in the hot (black) or the neutral (white).

Highly unlikely that the wire in the walls will be defective unless you have done construction or repairs that damaged the wire.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No power on part of circuit [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a mobile home. I have power on part of the circuit, but not all. The back bedroom is not working at all. When I check the voltage, I get 120 from hot to ground, but nothing from hot to common. Any ideas?

Power on circuit goes on and off - circuit breaker not tripped [ 3 Answers ]

The power on one of our circuit serving the garage and outside outlets goes off, but the circuit breaker does not trip. It used to go off for a few minutes/hours and to come back on for days/months. Now it is seems to be off most of the time, but still comes back occasionally for a few minutes...

How much power am I really using on this circuit? [ 3 Answers ]

Background: I recently put in a new circuit to stop blowing the breaker on a line that shared my washer, dryer, and dishwasher. Hurrah! So, I got to thinking... Question: I have a LOT of computer gadgets plugged into a circuit, but I never seem to have any problem with it. However, when I add...

One circuit knocking out power to another circuit [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 3 wire grounded Romex cable connected to 2 circuit breakers by sending one black to a breaker and one red to another circuit breaker. They lead back to the kitchen wall where one gives power to the garbage disposal and the other gives power to the dishwasher. Both have GFCI protectors on...

Taking power from existing 3 way circuit to power another switch [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have another question, hope its not too confusing. I have an existing 3 way switch for the lights in my stairwell. I want to change the single gang box to a 2 gang box and add another switch to power 6 new can lights. Can I disconnect the hot (black) wire and add a pigtail and feed power to...

View more questions Search