Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    guest1980 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 10:47 AM
    Joint account with husband social security+salary deposit of both
    Hi,
    I would appreciate anybody's help on my question.
    I recently started working as a consultant.My husband has an account and we are planning to make it joint account and we both can deposit our salary's in it.The account is in my husband social security no.
    My question is once it get joint will I have all the equal rights in withdrawing and deposition money or do I need to have a separate account on my social security no?

If I withdraw more than $10,000, will that be consider as a gift or I'm an equal owner to the account and have the right to withdraw and deposit any amount from it... please help...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 26, 2007, 11:06 AM
    If you are added to the account as a joint tenant, then you will have full rights to deposit and withdraw funds. The SSN is just used for tax reporting purposes.

As for the gift issue, it would not be considered a gift to withdraw funds from a joint account.
    guest1980 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 11:26 AM
    Thanks Scott,
    One more question: I hope this will not have any problem with filling taxes. I hope I don't need to deposit my salary on a separate account for tax reporting.

Also somebody posted a thread that he's the father and has a joint account with her daughter.But the daughter cannot take out more than 10000 dollars otherwise there should be a gift receipt... does that depends on relationship? For husband , wife joint account there is no such thing as gift receipt?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 26, 2007, 01:05 PM
    I'd have to see that thread, but it depends on the type of joint account. Maybe there are some restrictions on it. But I'm not sure how accurate that is. Gift tax doesn't apply between husband and wife unless maybe if you are filing separately.

The tax issue is on the interest earned by the account not the deposits (or withdrawals). The bank needs to report interest earned so they need a single SSN to report against.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Joint bank account? [ 2 Answers ]

I will be moving to florida soon, I plan to open up a bank account. Question is, my father will be moving down also, but for the mean time i was wondering is there any way i can have a joined state-to-state back account with him, or is there some way i can put money in, and he can fully access the...

Joint Account Garnishment [ 11 Answers ]

I realized that with Citibank, the a joint account is subject to Garnishment. Is that the case with all Banks?

Garnishment Of A Joint Account [ 1 Answers ]

I have a credit card company trying to garnish my joint checking account. Can they by law go after my Revolcable Trust Account in which I have with my wife if, my wife is the one being garnisheried

Writ served on joint bank account [ 4 Answers ]

A writ was served against a joint bank account with my current husband. The account was set out as exempt in a motion I filed myself. The original debt was 15 years ago with ex-husband. The bank has frozen the account so we have aboslutely no money even to hire a lawyer! The writ was served the...

View more questions Search