Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abberoth Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2012, 04:49 PM
    Can I place a lien against a house owned by a
    I have a settlement for another to pay a debt owed of approximately 30k. The court has ordered his wages garnished but he seems to have no trackable income. He has placed his house, cars and businesses under his wife's name. Is there a way to collect from this person? He lives with his wife and all parties live in Colorado Springs, CO.

Thank you all in advance.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 30, 2012, 05:03 PM
    This is the Catch-22 of obtaining a judgment. Often the judgment is easy to get.But the defendant often is judgment proof, has shielded all his income and there is nothing you can do to collect.

There are people who will work to collect, but they will take a hefty cut of what they get. Though usually if they get nothing you owe nothing.
    abberoth Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2012, 06:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    This is the Catch-22 of obtaining a judgment. Often the judgment is easy to get.But the defendant often is judgment proof, has shielded all his income and there is nothing you can do to collect.

There are people who will work to collect, but they will take a hefty cut of what they get. Though usually if they get nothing you owe nothing.
    Thanks for the reply. I kind of thought that might be the case but I was hoping for some way to get him to pay. Just amazes me that this is basically the same thing as stealing someone's property but it isn't that way in the eyes of the law. Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who has owned my house? [ 8 Answers ]

I am trying to find out who the previous owners of my home are. I have called the county clerks office and they tell me that I have to come in to the office and look up my name and house. I am out of state so that is not an option. Also, I'm looking for a free search. Thank you

I have a lien on my ex-husbands house and properties. Do I have to renew the lien? [ 3 Answers ]

I put a lien on my ex-husbands house and property for the back child support that he owes me.I have been told that I have to go to the courthouse and renew that lien ever so many years. Is this true and how often if it is true.We both live in Tennessee.

Land is owned by inlaw, House is owned by my husband [ 2 Answers ]

Land is owned by inlaw, House is owned by my husband whom I'm separated from. Landowner is harassing me and threatening eviction. (Landowner is walking around my yard, blocking my driveway, that has a right of way. Also threatening eviction based on my comings and goings and who I have over at my...

Can my mother place a lien on my house? [ 3 Answers ]

The mortgage is not in my name, it is in my fiancés, I am on the deed however. My mother is saying she's going to put a lien on the house since I "owe" her money. About 3 years ago when I had my daughter, she gave me 4k to put towards an SUV she had found for sale at a great price at a local...

Lien place [ 1 Answers ]

How can I stop a lean that was place on my home,the home owner association. There seems to be a communication problem between them and me. I responded through certified mail, no reply. Now a letter came to my house saying a lien is place.:confused:

View more questions Search