Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spiritshade Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2012, 04:45 PM
    Second Rat?
    Hi,

I have an eight month pet rat. She is incredibly affectionate and we spend a lot of time together. I have read that it is borderline unethical to keep a solitary rat. I have been considering getting her a rat friend. I am just concerned that it is too late and she wouldn't adjust to the new addition.

I tried to introduce her to my friend's rat. This rat is a bit younger and also a female so I figured there should be no threat. We did it the right way - I think. We kept them in their independent cages next to each other for a few days but Spirit (my rat) was furious. She kept trying to attack Scout (my friend's rat) through the cage. At one point Spirit actually got to Scout and attacked her pretty viciously. There was blood. She was also very possessive of me. If she detected me holding Scout she would go nuts.

I don't want Spirit to be lonely but I also don't know if she would adjust to a second rat. I don't know if I was just doing introducing them the wrong way.. I don't know what the ethical action is at this point. She seems happy on her own and seems to enjoy being an only child. I'd like to get her a friend so she might live longer, etc... but I don't know if it's the right move considering her history with other rats.

Advice?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

May 30, 2012, 05:45 PM
    Others may have a different opinion but I have found that with most rodents, rats included, once they get used to being alone in their surroundings, introducing an outsider will not work. If you had put 2 rats together originally, they would have developed their pecking order and mostly would have been fine. Now your rat is used to being king/queen and any additional rat is considered a threat.

If you pay attention to your rat, it won't suffer from being lonely.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2012, 06:07 AM
    I question the use of the word "ethical" here.

At any rate rats have been known to fight to the death.

Obviously introducing another rat has not worked. I'd leave your rate by himself/herself with whatever attention it needs from you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mouse or rat? [ 12 Answers ]

So maybe I am being a bit paranoid, but I have a mouse in my house. I have snap traps set, but they just keep licking the peanut butter off and the traps don't go off. A few times they have gone off but no victim. The other night I was sitting in the living room, and I could hear the little...

Rat keeps peeing [ 4 Answers ]

I adopted my Rat 4months ago, from a pet shop. He was brought back in from previous owners for some reason, they couldn't tell me. Got him at 6months old, and he settled in really well. Him and my 3 yr old get on so good. We moved house recently, and when I get him out he pees everywere. Every 2...

Rat Babies! [ 3 Answers ]

Oh my. Here we go. We have a trio of rats, whom we we assured were all male. Well as nature would have it, the person who sold us the rats was wrong. Upon coming home from work today I discovered our "Sam" was actually a "Samantha", and she had 14 babies. The other two are assuredly males, and I...

My rat is wild. [ 8 Answers ]

I got a female rat yesterday and te person who served us when we got her (Who once had two rats of her own) told me to leave her for a day. We did, I tried to pick her up today but I didn't succeed. I have never had a rat before so can anyone give me any tips? Another thing is she stays in a corner...

Wheezing rat [ 1 Answers ]

We have a rat that is wheezing and sneezing a lot. None of the local vets know anything about rats. We lost two out of the three already, and although The last rat is doing better then they were, he is still sick. This particular one is my husbands first pet ever, and it would be traumatizing for...

View more questions Search