Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    madanmp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 09:30 AM
    How to change the Taxable Marital Status in W-2 (from MARRIED to SINGLE)?
    Hi Friend,

Thanks for looking into my query. Your help is much appreicated.

I came to US on Jan 2006. I was married but my family didn't came with me (joined w/ me this Feb 2007) and I remember that I filed the W-4 with the marital status MARRIED. Now when I tried to file the tax online (w/ the option MARRIED FILING JOINTLY) it is asking the SSN of my spouse. I understood that my status should be Single not married for last year. Please advice me how to proceed now? I think I need another W-2 (bcoz my current W-2 has the marital staus as Married and filing status as MARRIED FILING JOINTLY). Please let me know the procedure to change the filing status.

Regards
    Madan
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 27, 2007, 11:08 AM
    Madan:

You CANNOT file online.

If you file by yourself, you must file a dual-status return, which will require a Form 1040 with a statement attached about your non-resident alien time. This must be mailed, not efiled. \

If you file jointly (recommended as it produces the best tax benefit), you must submit a Form W-7 to apply for an ITIN for your wife.

You filing status for the W-4 is NOT Relevant, as it only provides a guide to your employer as to how much tax to withheold from your check. It makes no difference on how you file your tax return.

If you need my professional tax help, contact me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How come single men fall for emtional games from single women but not married ones? [ 75 Answers ]

Okay this was brought up in another post by Wildcat. I didn’t want to take away from the original poster but this has been on my mind all day and I just want to get some other feedback on it. The OP was a mistress and as WC points out we’ve been seeing a lot of that here lately. Here’s what WC...

Marital status conflict in W2 [ 1 Answers ]

I was in US for complete 2006 on L1. My family joined me in between for 3 months on L2 visa. I want to file tax jointly. But marital status in W2 is SINGLE. It may not be possible for the employer to change the W2 form since it is already too late. Can I still file TAX jointly? Please suggest...

What is My Filing Status? Married or Single? [ 5 Answers ]

Can somebody Advice Here's my scenario: I went to India in December 2006 and got married but my wife came to US only on January 12, 2007. What status should I file for the year 2006? Single (or) Married filing joint (even if only one had income) (or) Married filing separately (or) Head...

On Tax Marital Status. [ 6 Answers ]

Hello AMHD, I am married and have a kid of one year old. I came to US on Aug 2005 on H1 visa. My family got their H4 visa's on Dec 2005 and they came to US on Feb 2006. Now my question is What is My Tax Marital Status? Can I claim my wife and kid are dependent on me? Thanks Pro

What will be my taxable marital status [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am married 2 yrs back.I am living in usa since may'2005 along with my wife.I have received my w2 form where it has been stated as Single.I have asked my employer to change that and sent them a new w4 form.My wife does not have any income and she does not have any social security number...

View more questions Search