Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jayyare21 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2012, 12:23 PM
    Marines or army
    Hey there I'm interested in joining either the marines or army don't really which one to go for since I get a lot of negative things on both' would really appreciate some advice since recruiters tell me different than what people say!? Help?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 29, 2012, 12:38 PM
    If you are young and want a good education, then yes, either one is a good choice. What do people say?

May 29, 2012, 12:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    If you are young and want a good education, then yes, either one is a good choice. What do people say?

I'm 21 years old' I'm really looking forward to joining the military but don't know which one would be the best one for me'
    naGillespie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2012, 12:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayyare21 View Post
    Hey there I'm interested in joining either the marines or army don't really which one to go for since I get a lot of negative things on both' would really appreciate some advice since recruiters tell me different than what ppl say!??? Help?
    If your going to go in, mine as well be the best! MARINES

May 29, 2012, 01:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by naGillespie View Post
    If your going to go in, mine as well be the best!! MARINES
    Why would you consider the marines better then the army?
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2012, 01:14 PM
    I am a Navy vet and probably favor the Marine Corps because of the relationship (note: this is a not a response to jayyare's question immediately above).
    The first thing I would do would be to compare the first phase (boot camp) between the two services. Decide which one best matches your physical and mental skills, and which is most likely overall to provide the experiences that you desire.
    Here is one site where there is some discussion about the services. There are many more you can search.
    USMC boot camp tougher than the others? - Page 3
    And talk to some recent veterans of both. Recruiters tend to stress any positives they can and some veterans will stress negatives and positives based on their personal experiences and performance (which may or may not have been stellar).
    And here are some fairly recent stats (you can find newer ones I'm sure) on how well the branches have been doing--meeting 100% and some even higher of than their goals.
    Military Recruiting Statistics for November 2009
    So recruiters nowadays I am guessing are not doing much embellishing because they can be more selective.
    It appears to me that making a career of the military will become tougher to do each year in the future due to politiical and especially budget battles. It will be a tough decision for you but if you can follow orders and stay out of trouble, it will be an experience you will be proud of for the rest of your life.
    But if your heart is not really in it and if you don't do your homework before you make the commitment, and don't perform your record can follow you for a long time. Best wishes and you already deserve credit for even considering becoming one of the less than one percent of Americans servicing their country in the military.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Aug 9, 2012, 06:52 PM
    Wish I was around for this conversation. If the OP is interested, he/she will come back ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Marines or army? [ 0 Answers ]

I am a female and I am going to join the military. I want to be in combat (but obviously cannot because I am a women). Would I have more of a chance at combat in the marines or army? P.s I don't want to be a doctor/dentist/etc.

Army or marines? [ 19 Answers ]

I have a question. I'm interested in oining the military, I've talked to recruiters, read about the different branches. But what I didn't find out was if the army gives you morepaid leave then the marines do..

It's the army movie, I don't know the title. In the movie 6 guys met in the army and [ 1 Answers ]

It's the army movie, I don't know the title. In the movie 6 guys met in the army and their officer name was Sergeant? And one name was Jerome and another name was Epstein or something.. I just remember the movie name has two words. The first one starts with a B and the second also starts with a B....

Any Marines? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm looking for anyone who has the experience of being a Marine to offer me friendly advice. I'm thinking about becoming a Marine, but I have a few simple questions. Does stealing happen often on bases, should I keep my good clothing at home? What's a typical day look like once you get stationed...

How many army and marines are in Iraq and Afghanistan? [ 2 Answers ]

How many army troops and Marines are in Iraq and Afghanistan?

View more questions Search