Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cwill Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 05:33 AM
    Painting basement ceiling black
    I have been struggling with this decision for months. And it is time to decide and do it. The drywall is ready to go up and we want the ceiling painted first. Everything I read says if you paint a ceiling white it appears higher. Our basement ceiling is 7 feet. We have left everything exposed (i.e. joist, pipes, hvac, etc... ). I wanted to paint it black and have everything disappear. My concern is that doing this I will, in appearance, lower the ceiling. All pipes will disappear etc when it is painted black but it will seem like a cave. We are installing black tracklights between the joist (running parralel). They will hang down exactly even with the joist. We looked at recessed lights but they did not come in black and we did not want to paint them. But the point is, that it will be very bright with lights. Any ideas from anyone who has accomplished this (painted their exposed basement ceiling black) and is happy/unhappy?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2007, 06:17 AM
    The question has come up here before. Perhaps the search feature would turn it up. If the members that tried it are no longer active, they may still respond to a PM or email. I have never done it, but it seems to work well in a public building. I understand your concern about the cave effect.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Painting a basement ceiling [ 10 Answers ]

I'm planning on finishing my basement. I have preliminary ruled out drywall and installing a drop ceiling. I have decided on painting the ceiling all black much like they do in a lot of restaurants. My question is what is the best and easiest way to paint a basement ceiling? Thanks for your...

Painting Basement floors [ 1 Answers ]

We have an unfinished basement, where we would like to paint the floors and walls. We have hired a painter to do the job. But wanted to check if we could use Breakthrough paint made by vanex, to paint the floors. Is it durable? My painter said it is less expensive and easier to paint with. Please...

Painting over black glue [ 1 Answers ]

I have removed very old vinyl tiles in basement and would like to paint over the black glue which is hard and shiny.

Painting walls black [ 2 Answers ]

I did not prime the wall before painting it black. I have put 3 coats on. The paint is thick and seems to go on uneven. How do I get a more even coat? Can I thin the paint?:cool:

Painting an unfinished basement ceiling [ 1 Answers ]

We are finishing our basement and have decided to paint the unfinished basement ceiling. I'm looking to insilate between the floor for sound proofing. What are the best solutions to do this. Also what suggestion on shade of paint light or dark,textured or smooth,laytext or oil based. All help is...

View more questions Search