Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bettyA Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2012, 09:40 AM
    Is it safe when all my light bulbs blow?
    Blubs of all shapes and sizes, blow! Two brand new bulbs put in today blew as soon as they where turned on! Sometimes they sizzle out, you can hear they are about to blow and they dim down before pop, most of the time you turn them on and they pop!

Ive tried Bulbs costing £1 to bulbs costing £6-£7 +, there's no vibrations or anything along those lines that would make them pop.

Ive had people out to check the voltage, said, oh it fine and left, but it can't be fine when I'm blowing through more lightbulbs that blackpool!

Sparks fly out of the water heater, I was told this is normal, and sparks fly out of normal sockets, which again I was told is normal.

Any ideas on what I need to do?

Many thanks :)
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 29, 2012, 09:42 AM
    With lamps blowing out, and sparks flying out of sockets and water heater, you need to find a better electrician to come out and troubleshoot your system.

Something is very wrong, and possibly dangerous.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 29, 2012, 09:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bettyA View Post
    Blubs of all shapes and sizes, blow! two brand new bulbs put in today blew as soon as they where turned on! Sometimes they sizzle out, you can hear they are about to blow and they dim down before pop, most of the time you turn them on and they pop!

Ive tried Bulbs costing £1 to bulbs costing £6-£7 +, there's no vibrations or anything along those lines that would make them pop.

Ive had people out to check the voltage, said, oh it fine and left, but it can't be fine when im blowing through more lightbulbs that blackpool!

Sparks fly out of the water heater, i was told this is normal, and sparks fly out of normal sockets, which again i was told is normal.

any ideas on what i need to do?

many thanks :)
    I'd hire a different electrician, it sounds like that one is a bit of an idiot to put it mildly.

I grew up with an electric water heater... in fact I've grown up with electricity... sparks are never a normal situation. Unless you are welding.
    bettyA Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2012, 09:49 AM
    Thanks for your answers :) I was going to get someone else to have a look, but then I realised I know nothing about electric so thought I might be over thinking it !

The sparks in the water heater was explained it was really just, ' oh yea that's OK, its just a large voltage so stopping it with the switch means sometimes it will spark, its fine'

Being me, I nodded and smiled and assumed he must know what he's talking about!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 29, 2012, 10:03 AM
    No shame in the average person not knowing about this stuff... you have to go to school to learn it... however that doesn't explain HIM saying it... I'm not an Electrician... I am a degreed Electronic Engineer... I'm forced to wonder if Electricians are certified and Licensed in your country or if anyone can Hang up a sign and call themselves one with no training.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 31, 2012, 04:45 AM
    An Electrician will check voltage at the meter, disconnect, main panel for the high voltage, likely form an open neutral.
    It is Dangerous.
    I bet your 240 volt things are fine?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If I remove 3 light bulbs on 6 bulb light bar, will my energy be reduced? [ 2 Answers ]

How about ceiling fans, 4 lights and I would be just fine with lights?

Where can I get Rhine FSP18EL Light Bulbs? Or what is a similar light bulb style? [ 0 Answers ]

I'm looking to replace old light bulbs that are Rhine FSP18EL for outdoor lighting.

Two basement light bulbs blow constantly. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. We have two light bulbs at the front of our basement that blow constantly. We know it isn't the wiring, we've replaced the sockets and we've tried different bulbs but they still blow. We think it might be vibrations from the main floor either from someone walking across the floor or closing...

Replaced a ballast and bulbs in fluorescent light fixture and now the bulbs flash [ 0 Answers ]

Replaced a ballast and bulbs in a fluorescent light fixture and now the bulbs flash what is causing this

What causes all my light bulbs in my ceiling fan to blow out at the same time [ 6 Answers ]

The lights in my ceiling fan is not working.but the fan is working, what could be the problem?

View more questions Search