Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fraksure Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2012, 10:31 PM
    Disability, 401k withdrawl and home purchase
    Hi, I am permanently disabled, 52, and on disability retirement from the USPS. I have a little over $100000 in my 401k that I would like to use to purchase a home for cash. I know that I will not have to pay the 10% penalty due to my disability but I have three
    Other questions. 1) Will I lose my disability income because of this withdrawl even if I use it to purchase a home? 2) Will I still have the 20% taken out by my employer? 3) Will this be considered income despite my purchasing a home with it? PS. I can not get a loan otherwise because of a short sale done on my last home because of my disability.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 29, 2012, 03:45 AM
    1) Depends on where you are getting your disability from and the rules governing it. However, I shouldn't think it would be affected.

2) Yes, the administrator should withhold 20% towards your tax liability, but you should get most of that back when you file your 2012 return.

3) Yes it will still be considered income.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

On disability need 401k will disability be lessened if we need to buy primary residen [ 1 Answers ]

I'm on state disability filing for social security disability,need to request my 401k (and pay 20% TAXES)to purchase a primary residence (loosing home ,like to buy larger size boat to live on) will I be fined or penilized for this (as if this were a income)its hard enough to live on disability as...

401K and forced to go on disability [ 3 Answers ]

What about 401k rollovers due to disability and the co. you work for insisted upon it? Uh oh another ? Not an answer. Sorry.

401k Disability withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

I have been unemployed from my job of 25 years for the past three years. I am unable to work due to physical and mental disabilities. I am 46 years old and am about to make my second withdraw from my 401k. I have read that if disabled, the 10% penalty can be waived. I am awaiting a court date...

Using 401k to Purchase First Home [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old 401k from a previous employer. I am no longer contributing it and it's basically just sitting there. Can I withdraw part of it to use as a downpayment for a first home? I have heard that you can do that and also avoid the penalty (10%) as long as you are using it toward a first...

401k withdrawal while on disability [ 3 Answers ]

In the last year, 2007, my wife withdrew funds from her 401k that she had with the company she used to work for. We got a statement from the bank that held it indicating the amount that was taken out. She has been drawing disability pay monthly for the last 2 years. What would be her tax...

View more questions Search