Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sueceecat Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2012, 10:07 PM
    Death certificate is wrong
    My mother, who never had a heart condition, and until then was physically healthy, was rushed to hospital with sepsis, (from a bladder infection not noticed by nursing home).. she had multiple organ failure by the time she got to hospital, from the sepsis) developed pneumonia in hospital ,and died a month later when taken off blood pressure meds ( when they took her off these meds that where keeping her blood pressure up and it plummeted). I was told at hsopital that she died of sepsis, which caused the heart failure. The death certificate now says ahe died of congestive heart failure, and although there are several lines where it says all contributing causes must be listed, none of these are. Why?

May 28, 2012, 10:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sueceecat View Post
    My mother, who never had a heart condition, and until then was physically healthy, was rushed to hospital with sepsis, (from a bladder infection not noticed by nursing home).. she had multiple organ failure by the the time she got to hospital, from the sepsis) developed pneumonia in hospital ,and died a month later when taken off blood pressure meds ( when they took her off these meds that where keeping her blood pressure up and it plummeted). I was told at hsopital that she died of sepsis, which caused the heart failure. The death certificate now says ahe died of congestive heart failure, and although there are several lines where it says all contributing causes must be listed, none of these are. Why?
    Should probably say that her "insurance doctor" signed the death certificate.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 29, 2012, 03:47 AM
    Why does this matter?
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2012, 05:33 AM
    My mother, who never had a heart condition, and until then was physically healthy, was rushed to hospital with sepsis, (from a bladder infection not noticed by nursing home).. she had multiple organ failure by the the time she got to hospital, from the sepsis) developed pneumonia in hospital ,and died a month later when taken off blood pressure meds ( when they took her off these meds that where keeping her blood pressure up and it plummeted). I was told at hsopital that she died of sepsis, which caused the heart failure. The death certificate now says ahe died of congestive heart failure, and although there are several lines where it says all contributing causes must be listed, none of these are. Why?
    Was a postmortem examination (PME) performed, a full autopsy?

Item 32, Parts I and II should be completed to the full extent of the medical knowledge of the pronouncing physician and/or pathologist conducting the PME (certifying physician) as the case may be.

If a PME was not performed then the physician that actually pronounced death should sign the certificate.

The proper protocol in relation to cause(s) of death can be reviewed here:

CDC, National Center for Health Statistics

May 29, 2012, 08:08 AM
    Thank you for these examples. I don't know who pronounced the death. My mom was in the ICU for a month after being taken there with sepsis, and she died there. The doctor who signed death certificate was her managed care ins. Doctor, but he was not taking care of her when she died. Would I follow up with doctor, coroner, hospital, or do I have to get an attorney?

It matters because she matters.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2012, 08:28 AM
    Thank you for these examples. I don't know who pronounced the death. My mom was in the ICU for a month after being taken there with sepsis, and she died there. The doctor who signed death certificate was her managed care ins. doctor, but he was not taking care of her when she died. Would I follow up with doctor, coroner, hospital, or do I have to get an attorney?

It matters because she matters.
    Unless it was a coroner's case, which I doubt given the circumstances, you should focus on the hospital and doctor that signed certificate.

You of course are entitled to know the "chain of events leading directly to death" and the "underlying cause of death." In addition, this information is used to compile statistics from the local through national level. It should always be thorough and complete.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 29, 2012, 08:40 AM
    The reason why I asked was to see if there is an coverage issue or some concern about malpractice. Of course Dr Bill is right that you have a right to know the chain of events and for accurate statistical analysis.

May 29, 2012, 01:55 PM
    Thank you all for your answers!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 29, 2012, 02:33 PM
    Yes, she is passed, and if they took her off her meds for blood pressure and her pressure spiked, most likely it was heart failure that actually caused her death,

I guess the issue why does it really matter ? She is gone and unless you are planing a law suit for poor treatment ( but did not say that) it really does not matter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What happens if cause of death is wrong on death certificate? [ 4 Answers ]

My husband died of a rare condition which he was infected with whilst in hospital, this condition went undiagnosed,and the wrong information put on his death certificate. Can anything be done to change the information at all? Jessica

Wrong info on death certificate [ 4 Answers ]

My mother in law passed away last week... she was in the hospital awaiting a liver transplant. She began to vomit quite a bit so doctors found ulcers. They put her to sleep to "clamp" the ulcers but a few days later she vomitted again. They gave her a phenigran sp? To help with the nausea. She...

Death Certificate [ 15 Answers ]

Need some help here, My second cousin recently passed away but we were very close when I was young, took me fishing, football, did everything a father should for his son. I was asked to start to arrange everything for his funeral has his daughter is out of the country for the next few days and...

Death Certificate - Cause of Death Recorded Incorrectly [ 8 Answers ]

Is it common practice to write down on the death certificates the wrong reason for cause of death? And if so, why do doctors do that? This happen to my dad a few weeks ago and I'm just trying to understand. Thanks in advance, Scott

Death certificate [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Experts, I am doing a biographical search on a subject, minor nobility, who died in South of France, 1878 and would like to obtain death certificate, also find burial place. She is buried in Nimes, Arles, maybe Nice. Can anyone direct me how to get records in France, and a listing...

View more questions Search