Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blanche123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 12:44 AM
    F-1: self-employed or employed?
    Hi everyone,

I have suddenly found myself in a situation, and I don't know how to file my taxes.

I am here as an F-1 student on OPT, it is my fifth year here. I am primarily a writer. I stayed in the U.S. for an extra year to try to write, and also to apply for graduate school for Fall 2007.

Anyway, in the meantime, I have taken a babysitting job on the side in order to survive. I have earned about $10,000 over the year, balancing 2-3 babysitting/reading mentorship (like homework helper) jobs. Now I am starting to figure out my taxes and came across the following problems that I never even realized were "rules" for students in OPT:

1) I did not receive a w-2 or 1099 from my employers -- will that lack of paperwork give me problems with the IRS or the INS?

2) I considered myself an employee, but because I did not get a w-2, where should I record my taxes -- line 8? Or will have to put everything under Schedule C, as if I was self-employed? I read somewhere that self-employment is not allowed for F-1s (and I was frankly shocked to learn this, I never heard this during the OPT seminar my school hosted). What can I do?

3) Am I entitled to self-employment tax exemption? I read somewhere again that I can only use the exemption if the job was related to my field of study (my field of study was literature).

4) My employers did not give me any payslips to help me prove how much I earned, although I am certain I can "account" for what I earned.

Please help. I wish to stay in the US for a few more years to study before I go back home.

Thank you.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 26, 2007, 11:34 AM
    First and foremost, what was the EXACT date your first entered the U.S.?

1) No, the IRS just uses the paper audit to track income. You can fill out the Schedule C and report the income without the Form 1099.

2) Sorry, you are self-employed. Yes, technically, that IS a violation of your F-1 visa, but you will get into MORE trouble not claiming this income than by claiming it and paying the taxes due.

3) In my opinion, you should claim the self-employment tax exemption, if for no other reason than tehre is no place to report the SE tax on Form 1040NR. Much depends on when you entered the U.S.

4) Enter the best estimate of your income.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax rate self employed [ 1 Answers ]

Self employed tax rates for when get paid from working

Self Employed [ 1 Answers ]

In 2006 (this year) I managed to earn $60000 as a contractor (I work 100% from home doing programming work) I'm in the state of Texas, so what taxes do I have to file and how many percentage are they? This is my first time being self employed. So far after reading online, ii know I have ot file...

How to pay/file tax: F-1 OPT self-employed [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am on F-1 OPT and would like to work self-employed in the field I studied. More specifically, as an individual engineering consultant. Please help me with the following questions. (1) Is this legal? (2) Are there special procedures I need to go through? (e.g. register business)...

View more questions Search