Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nbkjna4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2012, 03:38 PM
    Flush toilet pipes make loud noise
    Lately after I flush the upstairs toilet only, there is a delay of about 10-20 seconds and then it sounds like a pipe or something makes this loud jack hammer until the toilet shuts off and the tank fills up. Why is this happening?
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2012, 03:51 AM
    This loud noise is caused by a loose washer in angle valve or the fill valve, the next time the noise starts start to back off the angle stop located under the tank counterclockwise see if noise stops, next take the tank lid off and tell us which fill valve do you have, and will tell you the next step, Thanks.

John
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 29, 2012, 06:41 AM
    We call this "seat chatter" and John's correct. This could come from the angle stop or the ballcock on the right. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas furnace pipes make loud bang noise when heat goes on [ 0 Answers ]

When heat goes on our pipes make a large loud bang --have gas heat with radiators system was replaced about 7 years ago

Loud Noise When I Flush [ 2 Answers ]

I have this same problem, the noise is like a droning noise, right from pressing the toilet flush button until the cistern is full. It can be very loud like a foghorn or quieter and more rumbly. If you turn on the cold tap the noise stops but as soon as you turn if off the noise starts again. ...

Shower pipes make loud vibrating/humming noise with hot water turned on [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I had my basement renovated recently (this year) and now have a problem with the shower pipes making loud noises. When I turn on the hot water in the shower and let it run for approx 20-30 seconds, a loud noise emerges (reflects a fog horn). I can feel the vibration of the pipes. ...

My water got shut off and now the pipes make noise when I flush the toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a two story house with two bathrooms upstairs. Recently my water was shut off by the city. I didn't know that it had been done until I flushed the downstairs toilet two or three times. I paid my bill and got it turned back on. Every since I got it turned back on the pipes make a deep humming...

Loud Toilet after Flush [ 12 Answers ]

Both toilets in our home are very loud after flushing - mainly when the toilet is re-filling with water. The downstairs toilet has become very loud over the past few weeks. It's a loud continuous hiss until the toilet is done re-filling. Could there be something in the water pipes (build-up,...

View more questions Search